Started by DGuller, June 21, 2013, 03:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Was Malthus ever poor?

Yes
No
Maybe, sort of.  I guess it depends...

DGuller

Quote from: Malthus on June 22, 2013, 10:56:43 AM
As I pointed out in the other thread, it is surprisingly difficult for even the experts to agree on what constitutes poverty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty_in_Canada

http://www.canadiansocialresearch.net/licos.htm

According to the above, the cut-off in the 1990s was around $18K, though not an "official" measure. I can't remember how much I earned, but I'm pretty sure it was less than that.

Of course, if CC is right, income-based measures are pointless because one isn't "really" poor unless one takes into account what one's parents make.   :hmm:

Perhaps, CC, you ought to contact Statistics Canada and tell them what being poor "really" means - it evidently has nothing to do with how much you earn per year, but must also take into account one's family circumstances; all those 20 and 30 year olds complaining about the fact that there are no jobs for college graduates are not really "poor" at all, because look - they are educated. Even if they are making minimum wage washing dishes, that doesn't count.  :)
Statistics and statistical definitions can always be misleading in individual cases, especially corner cases.  That's why people who work with statistics, if they are any good, apply judgment when using them.

Malthus

Quote from: DGuller on June 22, 2013, 11:01:27 AM

Statistics and statistical definitions can always be misleading in individual cases, especially corner cases.  That's why people who work with statistics, if they are any good, apply judgment when using them.

You didn't actually look at the links, did you.

There are major debates about how to define "poverty". None of the debates frame the issue the way you and CC wish it to be framed.

We can either believe you, or the scientists working in this field.

Of course, you can take comfort in your popular vote. In some places, that trumps stuff like facts and evidence. :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

I don't think poverty experts spent a lot of time thinking about how they should classify rich kids slumming it.  Somehow I don't think that's the burning issue if you're in that field.  You are a corner case, and as such, no definition of poverty will both be useful and encompass your situation.  This is the kind of question that is best answered by common sense rather than a courtroom trial with expert witnesses.

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on June 22, 2013, 09:02:26 AM
Malthus needs to spend a couple weeks living paycheque to paycheque in a rent controlled apartment building where Mayor Ford buys his crack to know what poverty is.

:huh:

I lived in communial houses, paycheque to paycheque, while people around me dealt drugs. Wasn't the Ford brothers though, they were in Etobicoke at the time.  :D

A typical story from that time: I was trying to get some sleep when these guys came over to buy hash from another guy living there. They get really, really high, and refuse to leave. One falls asleep in a pile of ratty blankets in the courer. He really stank of BO.

Still later that night - more guys come, to buy LSD. I hear "WTF is that SMELL?" from the other room. Turns out the new guys objected to the stink of the sleeping guy. That AM, when I get up, I find that they had, by way of comment, dumped the garbage on him before they left - he didn't wake up, so was happily sleeping, like a pig in a manger, in a pile of coffee grinds, banana peels, etc. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: DGuller on June 22, 2013, 11:22:46 AM
I don't think poverty experts spent a lot of time thinking about how they should classify rich kids slumming it.  Somehow I don't think that's the burning issue if you're in that field.  You are a corner case, and as such, no definition of poverty will both be useful and encompass your situation.  This is the kind of question that is best answered by common sense rather than a courtroom trial with expert witnesses.

In short, don't confuse you with facts because you know the truth when you see it? Got it.  :D

DGuller

Quote from: Malthus on June 22, 2013, 11:34:01 AM
Quote from: DGuller on June 22, 2013, 11:22:46 AM

In short, don't confuse you with facts because you know the truth when you see it? Got it.  :D
No, it's more like "keep the facts in their context".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Malthus on June 22, 2013, 11:31:12 AM
I lived in communial houses, paycheque to paycheque, while people around me dealt drugs. Wasn't the Ford brothers though, they were in Etobicoke at the time.  :D

A typical story from that time: I was trying to get some sleep when these guys came over to buy hash from another guy living there. They get really, really high, and refuse to leave. One falls asleep in a pile of ratty blankets in the courer. He really stank of BO.

Still later that night - more guys come, to buy LSD. I hear "WTF is that SMELL?" from the other room. Turns out the new guys objected to the stink of the sleeping guy. That AM, when I get up, I find that they had, by way of comment, dumped the garbage on him before they left - he didn't wake up, so was happily sleeping, like a pig in a manger, in a pile of coffee grinds, banana peels, etc.

So who's arguing that this is poverty or being poor; you or DG?

Syt

So Malthus was slumming for a couple of years. Got it.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Lettow77

I hope someday I am in a situation where people insist I couldn't possibly have ever known poverty  :)
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

merithyn

Quote from: Malthus on June 22, 2013, 11:31:12 AM

:huh:

I think you're conflating poor choice of friends with poverty.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

PDH

I chose to live in poverty for a while, to show I could make it.  Still, I always knew that I had a safety net (still do, to be honest).  My family, while not super rich, has more than enough money.  My own adventures, which mirror Malthus to some degree, always had the "back of the mind" reassurance that if things went really, really bad I was only a collect phone call away from help.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Brain

Sheilbh was poor once. He briefly lived in a slightly smaller castle.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Garbon was poor once.  He considered going to Columbia.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Monoriu on June 22, 2013, 10:37:41 AM
I suppose Malthus is richer than me every step of the way in his life.

Well, he does live in Canada instead of China.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?