The future George Zimmerman Acquittal Trial Megathread!

Started by CountDeMoney, June 20, 2013, 06:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on July 30, 2013, 04:33:43 PM
Quote from: fhdz on July 30, 2013, 04:24:49 PM
Quote from: DGuller on July 30, 2013, 04:19:28 PM
I disagree.  In the first case, one would have done it differently even in the same circumstances.

Nobody gives a shit, because both cases are sufficient grounds for an apology.

That's why I said it felt arbitrary.  Regretting something doesn't negate an apology situation nor does an apology situation negate regrets.  I don't really see that the two are remarkedly different.
I think the difference is rather clear, so I'm a little puzzled here. 

In case 1, you are apologizing for your actions.  Presumably you were in direct control of your actions.  In case 2, you are apologizing for your circumstances, which presumably were not in your control. 

Using second form when first one is warranted converts the apology into a weasel non-apology;  using first form when second one is warranted makes the apology disingenuous and spineless, since why should you apologize when you would've done the same thing again?

garbon

I don't see why you can't apologize in both cases. After all, in case 2, you still chose to do it. She could still have refused even though she knew the right thing to do was acquit. I think you can still feel sorry even if you would do the same thing if you had the chance to do it again.

So while I understand the distinction you are making, and have from the start, I don't think that's relevant in determining whether an apology makes sense.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

fhdz

Quote from: DGuller on July 30, 2013, 04:41:16 PM

The difference is clear but the notion that one might feel compelled to apologize for either is roughly the same. Does that make sense?

EDIT: "One" obviously meaning "not DGuller but most other people".
and the horse you rode in on

Valmy

Quote from: Siege on July 30, 2013, 04:08:44 PM
Why is it important that she is latina?
Aren't we a color blind society?
At least we were headed that way until Obama came along.

:hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Quote from: fhdz on July 31, 2013, 01:41:21 PM
The difference is clear but the notion that one might feel compelled to apologize for either is roughly the same. Does that make sense?
:hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :huh: Actually, no.

Savonarola

Words can hurt, Jesse  :(

QuoteScott to Jesse Jackson: Say you're sorry

By Aaron DeslatteTallahassee Bureau Chief
11:13 a.m. EDT, July 31, 2013
Rev. Jesse Jackson joins Dream Defenders in Tallahassee

TALLAHASSEE -- A day after civil-rights advocate Jesse Jackson suggested Florida's laws were racist and compared its governor to segregationist George Wallace, Gov. Rick Scott issued a statement calling on him to apologize.

Here's the release:

Today, Governor Rick Scott released the following statement in response to remarks from Jesse Jackson who yesterday called Florida "the Selma of our time." Jackson has also referred to Florida as the "Apartheid State."

Governor Rick Scott said, "Jesse Jackson owes every Floridian an apology for his reckless and divisive comments. It is unfortunate that he would come to Florida to insult Floridians and divide our state at a time when we are striving for unity and healing.  Floridians are a strong, resilient people. We are fortunate to live in a great state where all Floridians enjoy opportunities to get a great job and a world-class education."

Jackson spent the night on the floor of the Capitol along with a handful of student protesters in their third week of demonstrations geared to force policymakers to repeal the state's controversial Stand Your Ground law. The Dream Defenders started their sit-in at Scott's office earlier this month after George Zimmerman was found not guilty in the shooting death last year of teen Trayvon Martin in a Sanford gated community.

But Jackson on Tuesday dialed up the criticism to suggest Florida's justice and voting systems were intentionally designed to disenfranchise blacks.

"You incentivize killing people," he said to a crowd of protesters.

He also likened Scott's refusal to consider calling a special session to Wallace's refusal to allow black students to enroll at the University of Alabama in 1963, until striking a behind-the-scenes deal with President Kennedy to allow himself to be carried off the university steps by troops in full view of the national media.

"We've seen Southern governors before change their minds," Jackson said. "Wallace said we couldn't go to the University of Alabama. He had to change his mind."

The statements drew backlash from several prominent Republicans, including House Speaker Will Weatherford, R-Wesley Chapel, who tweeted he was "embarrassed for him and irresponsible statement."

Republican Party of Florida Chairman Lenny Curry weighed in, calling out Florida Democrats for not also renouncing Jackson's remarks.

"With Jesse Jackson having a history of making offensive remarks, like calling New York City 'Hymietown,' it's surprising to see that Democrats are not denouncing Jackson for what he said about Florida and Governor Rick Scott," Curry said in a release. "Jesse Jackson's attacks are offensive, inappropriate, divisive and ill-informed. We should be thankful to Governor Scott for his focus on uniting Florida during this time."

Sometimes you just need to stand up and speak the truth.  Go out and tell the people, wherever you may find them, that we need to disincentivize killing people.  Then, and only then, may America rest, free and proud again.   :alberta:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

ulmont

Quote from: fhdz on July 31, 2013, 01:41:21 PM
Quote from: DGuller on July 30, 2013, 04:41:16 PM

Not really; I think DGuller is right.

While I agree that one might feel compelled societally to apologize for either one's actions (case 1), or one's circumstances (case 2), only case 1 is an actual apology.  Case 2 is just a "well, shit happens" response that one may feel forced to make, but that does not suggest one would do anything different going forward or that one feels any regret.

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

grumbler

Quote from: fhdz on July 31, 2013, 02:12:16 PM
It's pretty clear that she feels regret.

Yes, but DGuller is right - she should not feel regret.  She thinks Z was "guilty" of shooting Martin.  So does Zimmerman, and everyone else.  The evidence didn't support conviction on the charges, though, and so she properly voted to acquit.  If she regrets doing the right thing, then there is something wrong with her. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on July 31, 2013, 07:26:55 PM
If she regrets doing the right thing, then there is something wrong with her. 

I think she regrets that she had to do the right thing. Nothing wrong with that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on July 31, 2013, 07:44:16 PM
Quote from: grumbler on July 31, 2013, 07:26:55 PM
If she regrets doing the right thing, then there is something wrong with her. 

I think she regrets that she had to do the right thing. Nothing wrong with that.

Jurors do not have the constitutional right to feel bullied by fellow jurors, especially when it's the weekend.

derspiess

Zimmerman was pulled over today in Texas for speeding and had a pistol with him in the cabin.  He was given a warning and advised to stow the pistol in the glove compartment. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2382127/The-moment-George-Zimmerman-pulled-cops-Texas-speeding-Sunday--told-GUN-going-particular.html

I like how they put "GUN" in all caps. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on July 31, 2013, 08:10:27 PM
Zimmerman was pulled over today in Texas for speeding and had a pistol with him in the cabin.  He was given a warning and advised to stow the pistol in the glove compartment. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2382127/The-moment-George-Zimmerman-pulled-cops-Texas-speeding-Sunday--told-GUN-going-particular.html

I like how they put "GUN" in all caps.

Daily mail does that for almost every headline.

"POLES flood London and they get BENEFITS!"
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on August 01, 2013, 01:21:05 PM
I always just get warnings when speeding...not.

I've gotten two.  Most recent one was from a female state trooper who was oddly a bit flirty.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall