The future George Zimmerman Acquittal Trial Megathread!

Started by CountDeMoney, June 20, 2013, 06:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rasputin

Quote from: Razgovory on July 22, 2013, 11:35:02 AM
Oooh, and article from the American Spectator!  Maybe they should throw something in about how Bill Clinton threw children on train tracks to cover up his drug dealing.

it was fetuses...please fact check
Who is John Galt?

Valmy

Quote from: Rasputin on July 22, 2013, 11:40:17 AM
Had Martin been white and engaged in the same conduct the result would be the same; we'd have never heard about the case because the media couldn't sensationalize it.

Wait...wait...you are saying that the media cares nothing for white people and comes to the aid of black america all the time?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Rasputin on July 22, 2013, 11:41:09 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 22, 2013, 11:35:02 AM
Oooh, and article from the American Spectator!  Maybe they should throw something in about how Bill Clinton threw children on train tracks to cover up his drug dealing.

it was fetuses...please fact check

:lol:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Neil

Is assaulting a police officer even really a serious crime?  I mean, isn't that just the sort of thing that they charge you with if you don't kiss their asses enough?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on July 22, 2013, 11:54:08 AM
Is assaulting a police officer even really a serious crime?  I mean, isn't that just the sort of thing that they charge you with if you don't kiss their asses enough?

It's a moderately serious offence.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

This case has never had anything to do with race . . . This case was about an armed and frustrated cop wannabbe  . . . on the hunt for those involved in a string of robberies in his neighborhood.

And how did wannabe cop match up Trayvon Martin as a suspect for "those involved."?
One doesn't have to suppose racist motivation to take note of the fact that race was a relevant factor in the incident.

I agree that the racial angle distracts from the aspect that IMO is most concerning: that a self-appointed vigilante can disobey a clear direction from law enforcement, precipitate a confrontation that he was told to avoid, and use deadly force without suffering any legal sanction as a result.    But at the same time if my melanin count were higher and my latitude lower, I'd be getting on line on my local Sunshine State gun shop as well.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on July 22, 2013, 11:43:18 AM
Had Martin been white and engaged in the same conduct the result would be the same; we'd have never heard about the case because the media couldn't sensationalize it.

Wait...wait...you are saying that the media cares nothing for white people and comes to the aid of black america all the time?

Are you saying that the media did not sensationalize the story based on race?  Hell, when the race details didn't fall the way they wanted, the media manipulated them to fit the narrative they wanted.

See: "he looks black" and "White Hispanic"
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 22, 2013, 12:05:03 PM
disobey a clear direction from law enforcement,

You and others present this as if he disobeyed direct orders from a cop.  But it was a dispatcher who said "we don't need you to do that."  How much legal weight does that actually carry?  Honest question.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on July 22, 2013, 12:23:37 PM

You and others present this as if he disobeyed direct orders from a cop.  But it was a dispatcher who said "we don't need you to do that."  How much legal weight does that actually carry?  Honest question.

Dispatcher or uniformed officer doesn't matter much, because there isn't a general duty to 'obey orders from police'.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on July 22, 2013, 12:21:00 PM
Are you saying that the media did not sensationalize the story based on race?  Hell, when the race details didn't fall the way they wanted, the media manipulated them to fit the narrative they wanted.

See: "he looks black" and "White Hispanic"

No.  But they probably would have done so had Trayvon been white.  Suddenly it is a Latino gunning down a white kid.

But I think due to the nature of this particular tragedy it would have been a big deal regardless even if it was same race on same race.  Plj said that we would never even would have heard of this if Trayvon had not been black, as if the media goes around championing the cause of every dead black kid out there and ignoring everybody else.

Rasputin

This case has never had anything to do with race . . . This case was about an armed and frustrated cop wannabbe  . . . on the hunt for those involved in a string of robberies in his neighborhood.

And how did wannabe cop match up Trayvon Martin as a suspect for "those involved."?
One doesn't have to suppose racist motivation to take note of the fact that race was a relevant factor in the incident.

I agree that the racial angle distracts from the aspect that IMO is most concerning: that a self-appointed vigilante can disobey a clear direction from law enforcement, precipitate a confrontation that he was told to avoid, and use deadly force without suffering any legal sanction as a result.    But at the same time if my melanin count were higher and my latitude lower, I'd be getting on line on my local Sunshine State gun shop as well.

zimmerman took a black girl to his high school prom; he is far from the stereotypical southern redneck

i believe the combination of the hoodie, the prior break ins and martins being "out of place" that evening combined to make him appear suspiscious to the wannabe without regard to color
Who is John Galt?

derspiess

Quote from: fhdz on July 19, 2013, 01:19:13 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on July 19, 2013, 12:48:46 PM
One of my co-workers visited a gun store a few days ago.  He said that while he was there they were doing a brisk business selling to African-Americans.  So at least some good came from all this.   :)

Look for the usual gun-rights advocates to remain very, very silent about this. :lol:

:huh:
As long as they have had or intend to get some sort of training, and are responsible with the firearm, I think it would be a net positive.

Not sure where you're going with that.

Rasputin

Quote from: derspiess on July 22, 2013, 12:23:37 PM

the jury says none

i wouldnt have understood it as an order either

"we dont need you to do that" is not the same as "do not follow him any longer."

Who is John Galt?

Rasputin

its apparently a school disciplinary infraction in certain parts of the state
Who is John Galt?

DGuller

I can't recall a single case of bad cops being caught on tape where the victim wasn't charged for assaulting the offcers' fists with his face/chest/legs/testicles.