The future George Zimmerman Acquittal Trial Megathread!

Started by CountDeMoney, June 20, 2013, 06:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

QuoteBig Win for Zimmerman: No Audio Experts at Trial

(Newser) – George Zimmerman got great news for his murder defense today: A judge ruled that two audio experts who could have been detrimental to his case won't be allowed to testify, reports the Orlando Sentinel. The experts analyzed screams for help that could be heard in the background of a 911 call; one thought it was Trayvon Martin and the other stopped short of that but ruled out Zimmerman's as the voice. Prosecutors obviously wanted the jury to hear that Trayvon was calling for Zimmerman to stop, but the defense convinced the judge that voice analysis was too inexact of a science, reports USA Today. The all-female jury will start hearing opening arguments on Monday.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Just clarification:  they'll be able to play the tapes, as well as introduce family members who may be able to recognize who was who on the tapes;  it's just these "audio experts" who won't be testifying.  It's a borderline science, anyway.

OttoVonBismarck

Yeah, from everything I had heard audio analysis experts were pretty lame scientifically. No better than polygraph examiners and probably only a little worse than handwriting experts.

Scipio

This will be the best trainwreck since the 12th Circuit Court District Attorney failed to convict either of two guys who cooperated to murder a neighbor of mine who owned a pawnshop six blocks from my house.  Some day, I will tell that story, and why I am being begged to run for District Attorney.

But I don't want that fucking job.  What a goddamn nightmare.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Razgovory

Quote from: Scipio on June 22, 2013, 08:05:06 PM
This will be the best trainwreck since the 12th Circuit Court District Attorney failed to convict either of two guys who cooperated to murder a neighbor of mine who owned a pawnshop six blocks from my house.  Some day, I will tell that story, and why I am being begged to run for District Attorney.

But I don't want that fucking job.  What a goddamn nightmare.

I thought In Mississippi you just killed people who offended you.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

LOL, MSNBC is showing the opening statements live, and the state's quoting Zimmerman saying "those fucking punks".

Then MSNBC breaks in, apologizing the profanity and for the lack of the 7 second delay, and goes back to the coverage.

Guess what, no 7 second delay.  More "those fucking punks".  Lulz.

Razgovory

They really shouldn't let cameras in courtrooms at all.  It's a stupid practice.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on June 24, 2013, 06:40:38 PM
So it looks like Zim has regained his appetite :)

Must've been all those dropped Skittles.

alfred russel

Quote from: derspiess on June 24, 2013, 06:40:38 PM
So it looks like Zim has regained his appetite :)

I think if I was on trial for my life in a situation where it might come down to whether the jury thought I could hold my own in a fight, I would drop a dramatic amount of weight and appear as weak and frail as possible.

I also probably wouldn't hire a lawyer that told knock knock jokes to the jury.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on June 24, 2013, 10:46:49 PM

That guy is so fucking full of himself, I'm glad that shit boomeranged on his ass.

Kleves

Quote from: alfred russel on June 24, 2013, 10:46:49 PM
Maybe he's trying to give Zimmerman an ineffective assistance of counsel claim.
QuoteKnock-knock.

Who's there?

George Zimmerman.

George Zimmerman who?

Ah, good. You're on the jury.
:rolleyes:
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Barrister

Speaking as someone who has done some jury trials... there is a place for some light humour.  But knock knock jokes 'aint it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Siege

I like humor:

Knock-knock.

Who's there?

Tryon Martin.

BANG BANG

Oh, shit. It was an skittle.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"