And we're back!

Main Menu

The End of the Unpaid Internship

Started by jimmy olsen, June 19, 2013, 07:19:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 24, 2013, 11:10:22 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 19, 2013, 07:03:30 PM
If a company can not make an intern work, but can only train them, what's in it for the company?

And that is the attitude that has wrecked the internship model.  Too many employers see interns as free labour rather than students who are coming to learn.  When these things started out the motivation for employers was to be able to assess and get first dibs on good talent.   

Yeah the problem mentioned in most of these cases are that the items they are tasked to do as interns have no relevance on what they would actually do in their jobs.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on October 24, 2013, 11:37:52 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 24, 2013, 11:23:47 AM
Quote from: Rasputin on October 24, 2013, 11:13:46 AM
cc did you get my pm?

Yeah, but it was someone else asking the question.  I am not sure if you sent the PM to him and I was copied (that is what I assumed happened)  :)

You must get a lot of Emails, cause my old email provider had a line explicitly for cc.

:D

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on October 24, 2013, 11:37:52 AM
cc did you get my pm?

Yeah, but it was someone else asking the question.  I am not sure if you sent the PM to him and I was copied (that is what I assumed happened)  :)

You must get a lot of Emails, cause my old email provider had a line explicitly for cc.

:smarty:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on October 24, 2013, 11:38:41 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 24, 2013, 11:10:22 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 19, 2013, 07:03:30 PM
If a company can not make an intern work, but can only train them, what's in it for the company?

And that is the attitude that has wrecked the internship model.  Too many employers see interns as free labour rather than students who are coming to learn.  When these things started out the motivation for employers was to be able to assess and get first dibs on good talent.   

Yeah the problem mentioned in most of these cases are that the items they are tasked to do as interns have no relevance on what they would actually do in their jobs.

Yeah, its too bad the judge didnt turn his mind to that distinction.

Rasputin

cc did you get my pm?

:Embarrass: i see that now and it makes much more sense given how long youve been out compared to the nature of the questions :)
Who is John Galt?