News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Replacing a netbook

Started by Brazen, August 28, 2013, 05:58:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

My Asus eee netbook has finally got to the point where it can no longer upgrade to a version of Firefox that works. I need a replacement small, light computer I can pop in my handbag on press trips so I can write and upload stories on the go (Word compatible), browse the web, and, ideally, entertain myself with films and books.

Netbook technology is pretty much dead and no-one's making new ones. Do I need to go the tablet route? Would I need a separate keyboard to type up a long-ish document? Do I need 3G/4G access as well as WiFi?

Can anyone recommend anything? I've been eyeing the Kindle Fire HD, but have no idea if it's up to the job.

I don't want to spend a lot; I have a decent laptop for home use but don't want to risk it on the move.

Grey Fox

You get your employer to buy a Surface Pro or buy a Chromebook.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Brazen

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 28, 2013, 06:18:25 AM
You get your employer to buy a Surface Pro or buy a Chromebook.
Hah, yeah, right.  <_<

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadBurgerMaker

For light use + document typing for cheap, you could try one of those Windows RT tablets.  You can get a little keyboard case for it and all that.  It's not a full version of Windows like the Pro, but it's also not $7 or 800.  I think they're at $350 or so with Office.  Keyboard might be a little more.

E:  If there's a Microsoft store near you, you can try them out.  They'll have different options/brands too.  I know there were some brands other than Microsoft in there that were pretty cheap with a full version of Win 8 on them, but they had mobile processors instead of an i5 like the Surface Pro. One of those might work for you.

mongers

Quote from: Brazen on August 28, 2013, 05:58:25 AM
My Asus eee netbook has finally got to the point where it can no longer upgrade to a version of Firefox that works. I need a replacement small, light computer I can pop in my handbag on press trips so I can write and upload stories on the go (Word compatible), browse the web, and, ideally, entertain myself with films and books.

Netbook technology is pretty much dead and no-one's making new ones. Do I need to go the tablet route? Would I need a separate keyboard to type up a long-ish document? Do I need 3G/4G access as well as WiFi?

Can anyone recommend anything? I've been eyeing the Kindle Fire HD, but have no idea if it's up to the job.

I don't want to spend a lot; I have a decent laptop for home use but don't want to risk it on the move.

Why not ditch firefox and get a few more months out of your netbook?

Firefox on my netbook is utter rubbish, slick as bunch of rocks in a barrel of molasses on a particularly cold Northumbrian night.  Opera on the other hand still works a treat, and iplayer etc is fine.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"