News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ebook reader

Started by Vricklund, November 14, 2012, 04:10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on June 16, 2013, 11:41:05 PM
(despite what some say fires are not suitable readers)

Ok. :lol:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Still happy with my basic Kindle.

Kindle Fire HD is available over here now. It gives you
- Books (duh)
- newspapers & magazines (the range offered here seems to have shrunk significantly since last I checked)
- access to the MP3 store
- Amazon's movie streaming service not available in Austria
- otherwise everything else a tablet does

So, as I already have an Android tablet there's really not much sense in me buying one of those thingamabobs.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: garbon on June 16, 2013, 11:49:02 PM

I agree with Tyr.  An HD tablet fine for reading newspapers and magazines and doing a little light book reading, but not for getting though entire novels.  The regular kindle/nooks are better for that. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 17, 2013, 05:35:40 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 16, 2013, 11:49:02 PM

I agree with Tyr.  An HD tablet fine for reading newspapers and magazines and doing a little light book reading, but not for getting though entire novels.  The regular kindle/nooks are better for that. 

I don't have the HD version, but I don't see what the big deal is about reading a novel on a fire - apart from battery life. I do it all the time.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Have you ever experienced an E-ink reader compare to an LCD ?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Sure, but the statement wasn't whether or not e-ink or and Lcd screen is better to read for long periods of time but simply that a kindle fire is not a suitable reader. That's false.

Grey Fox

Well, that's matter of opinion.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DontSayBanana

Thinking of picking up a Nook HD+ Tablet while the 32GB is on sale for $179 as a birthday present for myself.  Anybody have experience with the HD+?
Experience bij!