News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sonia Sotomayor for USSC?

Started by Caliga, May 26, 2009, 07:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

I would guess those two chicks from Maine.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

ulmont

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 06, 2009, 03:14:49 PM
Do you know which Republicans besides Lindsey Graham voted for?

Lamar Alexander (TN), Kit Bond (MO), Susan Collins (ME), Lindsey Graham (SC), Judd Gregg (NH), Richard Lugar (IN), Mel Martinez (FL), Olympia Snowe (ME) and George Voinovich (OH).

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

So the squinty, Wise Latina made it in.  No big surprise.  But what is the deal with all this business about some "barrier" being removed for hispanics or hispanic women?  Were they being specifically excluded all along?  Wonder how many more "barriers" will be invented so we can talk about how great it is that they're being broken?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

I caught the swearing in, and was struck by the fact that the Justice's oath includes language about ruling "without respect to persons...whether rich or poor."

merithyn

Seems to me that it's more of a case of a Hispanic judge finally being high enough up the political food chain to warrant notice for this kind of appointment.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 09, 2009, 02:05:13 PM
I caught the swearing in, and was struck by the fact that the Justice's oath includes language about ruling "without respect to persons...whether rich or poor."

Why did that strike you?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: merithyn on August 09, 2009, 02:07:07 PM
Why did that strike you?
Obama's search for a judge with empathy.

merithyn

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on August 09, 2009, 02:06:19 PM
Seems to me that it's more of a case of a Hispanic judge finally being high enough up the political food chain to warrant notice for this kind of appointment.

I would find that a little patronizing if I were hispanic, but otherwise that's fine-- there just seems to be a subtext that hispanics were actively being excluded somehow.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on August 09, 2009, 02:10:32 PM
I would find that a little patronizing if I were hispanic, but otherwise that's fine-- there just seems to be a subtext that hispanics were actively being excluded somehow.

Why is that patronizing? The reality is that Hispanics (and blacks) WERE actively excluded from appointments and elections to be judges and beyond for a long time. In the last few decades, that changed. Now, one has managed to make it far enough up in the pecking order to be noticed and singled out, something that wouldn't have been possible 20-30 years ago.

In essence, to me, the barrier was broken when the first Hispanics were appointed/elected judges. Once that happened, it was just a matter of time before someone made it to the high court. Same with women and blacks.

Admiral Yi

I assume Jim Crow would cover blacks being actively excluded from appointments, but when have Hispanics ever been actively excluded from anything?

ulmont

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 09, 2009, 02:58:50 PM
I assume Jim Crow would cover blacks being actively excluded from appointments, but when have Hispanics ever been actively excluded from anything?

Segregated schools, not allowed to serve on juries, the occasional lynching, pretty much the works.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Mexican_sentiment#1940s

saskganesh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 09, 2009, 02:58:50 PM

would Meri let her daughter date Jaron?
humans were created in their own image