New Computer - Let's talk about it.

Started by Grey Fox, June 18, 2013, 03:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Caliga on November 04, 2013, 01:39:05 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 04, 2013, 10:31:46 AM
I'm not too sure about your choice of fan either.  It looks like a standard fan that gets broken after 1 year.  Might want to spend 20$ more to get something better.  Zalman has interesting models.
:huh: That fan always seems to have stellar reviews on NewEgg and from other places I look at.
ok, then.  It might just be me.  It's a good brand, but I don't like those designs.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Caliga on November 04, 2013, 01:39:46 PM
and I'm tired of always having issues with games because of it.
I was just joking, but I'm curious: what kind of issues?  I've never had any problems with AMD since... since longer than I can remember.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on November 04, 2013, 02:43:01 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on November 04, 2013, 10:35:06 AM
It's coming Viper. This year, we're getting 4 and 6gb ram min. In 5 years we'll have 8gb ram mins with 16+ recommended.
Well, it will have to wait for the next-next generation of consoles I guess. These things stalled development on good games, sad as it is.

Generation that is 2weeks/1month away.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

Quote from: viper37 on November 04, 2013, 02:47:59 PM
I was just joking, but I'm curious: what kind of issues?  I've never had any problems with AMD since... since longer than I can remember.
micro-stutter in plenty of games that should run easily on my hardware (e.g. Star Wars: The Old Republic, Skyrim).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 04, 2013, 02:54:15 PM
OS will use 3gb, games will use 5gb. Total 8gb for this generation of Xbox, and PS4 must be similar, right?   I've had 8gb since Windows Vista.

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on November 05, 2013, 02:52:08 PM
OS will use 3gb, games will use 5gb. Total 8gb for this generation of Xbox, and PS4 must be similar, right?   I've had 8gb since Windows Vista.

Yes but you are leaving no place for other applications.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 05, 2013, 03:06:03 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 05, 2013, 02:52:08 PM

Yes but you are leaving no place for other applications.
But developpers can't code a game that could use 12gb of RAM if it was there, right? Because that would fuck things up on the consoles?
Like some developpers sometimes releasing better textures for their PC games, either they make a seperate package, or most likely, they don't use all the hardware we have at our disposal.

Grey Fox

Yes but not all games at console ports. Sometimes the PC version gets ported & dumbed down.

And sometimes it's Civilization VI.

DontSayBanana

I'd argue the missing piece of the puzzle here is discrete graphics cards.  Desktop variants come with more and more onboard memory, so that "same 8GB since Vista" isn't actually the same 8GB- you might have gone from 8GB and a 512MB video card, to 8GB and a 5GB video card.

On consoles, they get the GPU, but that 8GB has to provide memory for the game logic, the graphics operations, and the hardware-software interfaces.  PCs are still getting nicer graphics or expanded editions of games simply because they're more expandable than consoles.
Experience bij!

Caliga

I've picked up Windows 8.1, an SSD, and a case so far (since I'm not in a hurry I keep waiting for stuff to go on sale before picking it up).

updated build: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Caliga/saved/2HHz

Caliga

updated build: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Caliga/saved/2M1o
Got rid of the retail Blu-Ray unit and swapped in an OEM from LG.  I can easily get the software that the retail unit came with. :shifty:

Caliga

So I've bought everything so far but the blu-ray drive, and I am debating whether it's worth it to pick that up, in part because I would like to keep the total cost of the build below $1500. :hmm:

...and I wish I lived near a MicroCenter.  I could have done the build for about $100 cheaper if so and picked everything up in-store.  I miss MicroCenter. :(

Grey Fox

Why do you need a blu-ray drive on your computer?

Caliga

To access blu-ray media? :)

Seriously, I only have a few blu-ray movies (basically the Star Wars trilogy) but as of right now I have no blu-ray player in my house... I only have those movies cause they came in some six disc set I found on sale at Wal-Mart.

The other thing I could do with it is burn backups since blu-ray data discs have an enormous capacity... but I have a WD Passport backup drive that's working fine for me.

So I'm thinking of passing on the drive at this point. :hmm:

Grey Fox