Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Liep

Quote from: Vricklund on June 22, 2013, 12:14:24 PM
Quote from: viper37 on June 22, 2013, 12:35:35 AM
Thermaltake Armor+
http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00000091
You must have a very forgiving gf.
Why do you care so much about cases? They're gonna be under the table and out of sight, no one needs easy access the cd-drive anymore. :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

viper37

Quote from: Liep on June 22, 2013, 12:55:21 PM
Quote from: Vricklund on June 22, 2013, 12:14:24 PM
Quote from: viper37 on June 22, 2013, 12:35:35 AM
Thermaltake Armor+
http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00000091
You must have a very forgiving gf.
Why do you care so much about cases? They're gonna be under the table and out of sight, no one needs easy access the cd-drive anymore. :P
it's not out of sight, it is besides my table, in plain view of everyone walking over there.  I have USB ports on top, wich i frequently need, so I like that.  And it has room inside.  Perfect for me.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Caliga

Quote from: Caliga on June 21, 2013, 03:27:31 PM
I've started poking around Tomshardware, Anandtech, Newegg, etc. and looking into the Haswell CPUs.
Decided for now to just get a new monitor.  ASUS VG248QE... only an inch bigger but HDMI, 3D ready (but you gotta separately buy a kit if you want that), and built-in speakers so I can use it for an alternate setup if I want to.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

Oh that's nice.

I'm buying an Asus Monitor. I just have to decide between the 23.6, 23 or 21.5.

viper37

21.5 could be a little small by today's standards.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on June 25, 2013, 01:01:49 PM
21.5 could be a little small by today's standards.

It'll be the same 1080p native resolution on an IPS panel, just gotta pick how big I want it.

Right now, I have a 19'' that predates 1080p.

I made mock up of the monitor sizes to test out on my desk, yes I'm that kind of nerd, and I am going to tell you; they all look like GIANTS.

Caliga

Oh right, forgot to mention that the new monitor is 1080p and my old one could only do 1680x1050.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 25, 2013, 01:05:36 PM
I made mock up of the monitor sizes to test out on my desk, yes I'm that kind of nerd, and I am going to tell you; they all look like
GIANTS.
Trust me, you'll get used to it ;)

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on June 26, 2013, 08:51:03 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 25, 2013, 01:05:36 PM
I made mock up of the monitor sizes to test out on my desk, yes I'm that kind of nerd, and I am going to tell you; they all look like
GIANTS.
Trust me, you'll get used to it ;)

Oh I know. At work I use 2 24inches and they don't seem that big.

I think I will buy the 23 IPS from Asus.

Caliga

Caliga

QUESTION:  My new HDMI cable should get here today so I can set my shiny new monitor up.  However, when I unpacked it yesterday, plugged it in, and turned it on to validate it was working (and it was), I noticed that it also has a DisplayPort jack.  I don't believe my current gfx card has a DisplayPort jack but most of the newest ones seem to.  Is DisplayPort better than HDMI?  Should I plan on my next gfx card having a DisplayPort jack?

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on June 27, 2013, 10:53:40 AM
QUESTION:  My new HDMI cable should get here today so I can set my shiny new monitor up.  However, when I unpacked it yesterday, plugged it in, and turned it on to validate it was working (and it was), I noticed that it also has a DisplayPort jack.  I don't believe my current gfx card has a DisplayPort jack but most of the newest ones seem to.  Is DisplayPort better than HDMI?  Should I plan on my next gfx card having a DisplayPort jack?

Quick googling suggests that while DP has some minor technical advantages over HDMI it really isn't any "better", and you can use an adaptor to go between DP and HDMI.

I only know about DP because Apple has switched over to the related miniDisplayPort / Thunderbolt connectors.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

Oh, wait, this is an Apple connection?  Fuck that noise then.  Let's pretend I never made my post. :)