Early July, North Italy for a few days, a week tops. What is worth checking out?

Started by Tamas, June 16, 2013, 03:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 17, 2013, 03:13:45 AM
Quote from: Tamas on June 17, 2013, 02:02:38 AM
I haven't road tripped the Balkans, and have no intention to do that, especially with a Hungarian license plate and not speaking any slavic languages :)

You poor guys sure did get shat on in the linguistic lottery.

I speak Hungarian so I can sort of understand....nothing.

I am actually proud of that :)

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Pedrito

Quote from: Maladict on June 17, 2013, 02:15:31 AM
Avoid Venice and the lakes like the plague.

You might want to consider Friuli-Venezia Giulia. It's closest to you and relatively quiet.
Beautiful scenery and lots of interesting places to explore: Trieste, Miramare, Aquileia, Grado, Udine, Cividale, Palmanova, the huge cave near Villa Opicina, the WW1 battlefields and enormous cemetery near Redipuglia.

This.

The upper adriatic coast is chock full of organized camping sites, it would be pretty easy to find place somewhere. Trieste, Aquileia, Grado, Palmanova are nice and not overcrowded like Venice and its surroundings.
If you want to visit Venice anyway, I'd suggest to find a camping place near Cavallino or Punta Sabbioni, in the northern part of the Venice Lagoon; from there, you can easily reach the city by boat (vaporetto), and take a trip to the northern lagoon isles: Murano, Burano, Torcello, Sant'Erasmo, these are most interesting. In Torcello there's even the so-called Attila's Throne, what's best for a hun?  :P 

I'd love to meet you guys should you venture west to Padua, but these days I'm totally underwater with the job, so I won't make any promises. I still have your phone number since the Cortina meeting, if it's the same as 5 years ago.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Pedrito

b / h = h / b+h

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Pedrito

b / h = h / b+h

Tamas

Hey Pedrito! I was hoping you would show up. :)

I did not mean "set camp" literally :P I ain't sleeping in no tent :D

Pedrito

Many of the campings there offer other kinds of accomodations, like bungalows: check this one http://www.campingcavallino.com/en-venice/.

If you want a more central position to raid the area, Padua is a good place: 80 kms from Verona, 35 from Venice, the wonderful Ravenna is around 100 kms southwards, the seaside is 45 kms away. There are some nice hotels, and plenty of things to do and see. About, say, 297 meters from my home there's the Third Army Museum, http://musei.provincia.padova.it/portale/Scheda_Museo.aspx?cod_museo=28, a small WWI museum. The last time I visited it, I was about 8 years old  :blush:

Ask and ye shall be answered.

L.
b / h = h / b+h