Texas wastes Tax Payers time with stupid bill that effects nothing legally

Started by Valmy, June 14, 2013, 10:41:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/06/14/perry-signs-merry-christmas-bill-into-law/?test=latestnews

Ah the 'Merry Christmas' bill.

QuoteSurrounded by sleigh bell-ringing Santa Claus impersonators, Gov. Rick Perry on Thursday signed a law protecting Christmas and other holiday celebrations in Texas public schools from legal challenges - but also stressed that freedom of religion is not the same thing as freedom from religion.

It was a serious tone for an otherwise fun bill-signing and should bolster the governor's Christian conservative credentials before he travels to Washington for the Faith & Freedom Coalition's "Road to Majority" conference with the likes of tea party darlings and U.S. Sens. Marco Rubio of Florida, Kentucky's Rand Paul and fellow Texan Ted Cruz.

Dubbed the "Merry Christmas" bill, the bipartisan measure sailed through the state House and Senate to reach Perry's desk.

It removes legal risks of saying "Merry Christmas" in schools while also protecting traditional holiday symbols, such as a menorah or nativity scene, so long as more than one religion and a secular symbol are also reflected.

Glad to know this critical danger has been removed!  Hurrah for Texas politicians!  Schools may now use symbols for the Holiday season without fear of Liberal bomb throwers.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Viking

Hamdilulla! Now the Muslims can use public money to celebrate and indoctrinate kids into Islam! As long as the principle or teacher are muslim... if he/she is a scientologist.. eh.. still E-Meters and Thetan Audits for All!
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Malthus

Quote from: fahdiz on June 14, 2013, 10:43:19 AM
What "secular symbols" are also going to be reflected?

"Our crucifix reflects two religions and secularism

It's got Christianity, Judaism (that's a Jew hanging from it) ... and the carpenter's union. "   ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

fhdz

Quote from: Malthus on June 14, 2013, 10:45:27 AM
Quote from: fahdiz on June 14, 2013, 10:43:19 AM
What "secular symbols" are also going to be reflected?

"Our crucifix reflects two religions and secularism

It's got Christianity, Judaism (that's a Jew hanging from it) ... and the carpenter's union. "   ;)

:lol: That reminds me of the boy who is sent off to Catholic school and his grades shoot up tremendously; when his parents ask him why he's doing so much better now that he's out of public school, he says "Well, when I got to math class and I saw they'd nailed some guy to a plus sign, I knew they meant business."
and the horse you rode in on

Valmy

Quote from: 11B4V on June 14, 2013, 10:44:55 AM
Good for Texas.

Yeah pretty sure you could already do that.  We have very short legislative sessions and this is the sort of puff bills they love to pass...meanwhile loads of cans get kicked down the road.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Grey Fox

Wow Texas does something Right.

Le Holidays est Mort, Vive Le Christmas!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

11B4V

Quote from: Valmy on June 14, 2013, 10:51:21 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on June 14, 2013, 10:44:55 AM
Good for Texas.

Yeah pretty sure you could already do that.  We have very short legislative sessions and this is the sort of puff bills they love to pass...meanwhile loads of cans get kicked down the road.

But it's bipartisan.  :)
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

derspiess

Good.

Btw Valmy, do you get pissed off every time they pass things like non-binding resolutions?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Well that is a relief.  I would hate to see the Christian minority rights in Texas trampled by all those attempting to prevent them from saying Merry Christmas.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on June 14, 2013, 11:23:42 AM
Good.

Btw Valmy, do you get pissed off every time they pass things like non-binding resolutions?

Only when it becomes a big dog and pony show.  And remember these guys only meet for 50 days every two years we have alot of business to attend to in that short time.  Also it is frustratiing.  Perry lets serious issues languish for years because he is too cowardly to deal with them, but he is always front and center out there on uncontroversial fluff.  Great leadership.

We will be having a special session to continue the 'War on WOMEN'!!!111 otherwise known as further attempts to deal with the abortion issue.  That should be fun.

Razgovory

Eh, at least they aren't causing any active harm.  That's an improvement.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on June 14, 2013, 10:44:44 AM
Hamdilulla! Now the Muslims can use public money to celebrate and indoctrinate kids into Islam! As long as the principle or teacher are muslim... if he/she is a scientologist.. eh.. still E-Meters and Thetan Audits for All!

Yeah, they can already do that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on June 14, 2013, 12:36:28 PM
Eh, at least they aren't causing any active harm.  That's an improvement.

Well the big ceremony claiming they were defending us all was really what annoyed me.