Main Menu

Commander in SS-led unit living in US

Started by garbon, June 14, 2013, 09:10:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Quote from: DGuller on June 14, 2013, 12:20:39 PM
Quote from: Zanza on June 14, 2013, 12:02:03 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 14, 2013, 09:17:32 AM
On my wife's naturalization application we had to answer whether she was a member of the SS between 1933-1945.  She answered "no" and I guess I'll have to take her word for it.
That question is on every immigration/visa application form for the US:
Have you ever been or are you now involved in espionage or sabotage; or in terrorist activties; or genocide; or between 1933 and 1945 were involved, in any way, in the persecutions associated with Nazi Germany or its allies?

http://chcidoameriky.cz/wp-content/uploads/formular-I-94W.jpg
How did you answer?

I only followed orders! :P

KRonn

Quote from: Zanza on June 14, 2013, 01:33:04 PM
Quote from: DGuller on June 14, 2013, 12:20:39 PM
On my wife's naturalization application we had to answer whether she was a member of the SS between 1933-1945.  She answered "no" and I guess I'll have to take her word for it.
Have you ever been or are you now involved in espionage or sabotage; or in terrorist activties; or genocide; or between 1933 and 1945 were involved, in any way, in the persecutions associated with Nazi Germany or its allies?

How did you answer?

:lol:
I only followed orders! :P

Malthus

Does anyone ever answer "yes" to that?  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Zanza

I think the idea is to shortcut the deportation process when they find out you lied. I mean the other questions are similar: "Are you seeking entry to engage in criminal activities?"

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on June 14, 2013, 01:56:28 PM

IIRC there had been some cases in which it could not be proved that the applicant had lied about their past and so now immigration questions try to deal with that issue.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 14, 2013, 02:06:43 PM

IIRC there had been some cases in which it could not be proved that the applicant had lied about their past and so now immigration questions try to deal with that issue.

So, I commit genocide as a Nazi, and I'm a terrorist and a spy. The cops catch up to me, and I tell them "well, I never actually lied about any of that to immigration", and without the benefit of this form, the cops have to say "sorry sir, our mistake" and let me go?  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on June 14, 2013, 02:28:39 PM

So, I commit genocide as a Nazi, and I'm a terrorist and a spy. The cops catch up to me, and I tell them "well, I never actually lied about any of that to immigration", and without the benefit of this form, the cops have to say "sorry sir, our mistake" and let me go?  :D

Then can still prosecute you for war crimes, but they can't revoke your citizenship.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on June 14, 2013, 02:30:22 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 14, 2013, 02:28:39 PM

Then can still prosecute you for war crimes, but they can't revoke your citizenship.

Yeah, exactly. The issue on revocation is whether the person was dishonest when they applied for citizenship.

Malthus

Heh, in that case, a clever tactic would be to answer "yes". I bet that 100% of the time people answer "yes" to that question, it is because they are confused/mentally impared/don't read English too well, and it gets more or less ignored by the bureaucrats processing the form.  :D

derspiess

Speaking of confused/mentally impaired, half the people participating in the naturalization ceremony started the oath by literally saying "I, State Your Name..."

One of those real-life Animal House moments.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

Quote from: derspiess on June 14, 2013, 02:51:10 PM
Speaking of confused/mentally impaired, half the people participating in the naturalization ceremony started the oath by literally saying "I, State Your Name..."

Failure to Follow Instructions (FFI) they should have all been dismissed and try again six months later. j/k  :lol:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on June 14, 2013, 02:51:10 PM

:hmm: I've been to two of them, and I didn't hear any of that.  Maybe you guys get the dregs that New York didn't want.

dps

In order to answer honestly, wouldn't concentration camp survivors have to say "yes"?  After all, they were involved in the persecutions associated with Nazi Germany.  Sure, as the victims, not the perpertators, but the way it's worded it doesn't make that distinction.

fhdz

It's Hortlund & Albert Speer's love child.
and the horse you rode in on