Cold War Games

Started by Syt, April 15, 2013, 01:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

2 games that just caught my attention.

Cold War Era (as seen on Steam Greenlight):

http://www.thecoldwarera.com/aboutgame.html

QuoteThe Cold War Era isn't over, it's just beginning

Military might, stealthy spies, blatant propaganda, and high-tech Space Race marvels are all at war game lovers' fingertips when they choose to play as the U.S.A. or the U.S.S.R. and rewrite history in The Cold War Era.

TCWE is a P2P RTS strategy game based on the epic conflict between the Americans and the Soviets spanning the 1950s through the 1990s. Within one hour of gameplay players will course through four decades of contention, paranoia, secrecy, and the overarching "us vs. them" mentality.

Despite the complex themes encapsulated in TCWE's hour-long gameplay, Alina Digital's mission is to "minimize clicks per minute to maximize fun." The challenge in TCWE comes from a live opponent, not figuring out complex game controls. Here's what makes TCWE unlike any other war-based online strategy game:

Game Features

- Play P2P and match wits against a human opponent, or battle in single-player mode against a crafty AI.

- Play any time against a live opponent via TCWE's game server.

- Immerse yourself in a realistic atmosphere that recreates the true Cold War.

- Choose your side and play as either the Americans or the Soviets to rewrite Cold War history.

- Install military units to prop up the local Allied government or transform rebels into revolutionaries in Opposing countries.

- Establish spy networks to support government propaganda campaigns or shake loose the Opposition's stronghold.

- Launch rockets, satellites and astronauts into space to shock and amaze the world and win their alliance.

- Devise your own strategies and tactics, forcing your opponent to play by your rules.

- Initiate pro-government parades or incite riots to plunge countries into chaos.

- Use time to your advantage -- each Cold War Era matchup only takes 1 hour to play, start to finish.

- Keep on top of the game's goings-on by watching TCWE's unique in-game TV stream. This TV stream consists of real-life news footage shot during the Cold War era, edited to represent the players' in-game activities.

Relying on a clean and simple map-based game interface, TCWE is easy to play for gamers of all age and skill levels. Easy-to-read menus tell players about

-Play P2P -- every game is a battle of wits between you and a live opponent.
-Point and click -- easy-to-understand map and menus guide you through gameplay.
-Players' Influence in each country and worldwide.
-Watch events unfold -- TCWE's in-game TV stream is fully built in to the game program and won't clog your bandwidth.
-Their Opponent's Influence in Influenced, Neutral and Opposing countries.
-Number of military units stationed in each country.
-Spy network status and propaganda campaign success.
-Remaining budget, which determines what initiatives can be launched.
-Space Race Milestone achievements, which help win global Influence.
-Each country's score value, which is used to calculate a player's Budget.
-Their Total Score as game events unfold.

Gameplay video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=m4WXMr-4KAQ

They're currently collecting donations. 25$ entitles you to the special edition, which should give beta access.

Secondly, there's "Us and Them", a bit more tongue in cheek, by the looks of it.

http://www.usandthemcoldwar.com/

Quote"Us And Them - Cold War" is a turn-based strategy game about cold war. Although it is a game of territorial expansion, the rivals do not attack their opponent using military force. Instead they are using an army of Spies, Assassins and Experts of various kinds (l`ike economy, technology etc.) in order to destabilize the enemy's countries socially, economically, politically and finally to change their governments' ideology and attach them in their own political block.
The player will have to manage resources like money, oil and technology. He must place his units strategically on the map and create a series of spy networks waiting for the right moment to unleash a series of sabotages, assassinations, bribes, revolutions, arrests and interrogations of enemy units. Since most of the units are hidden to the enemy, the collection and interception of crucial information about the countries, the units' attributes and their whereabouts is essential for victory.
All units, as a representation of actual persons, have their own skills and attributes that make them unique and allow the players to personally connect with them.
A series of special rules will allow you to deploy special strategies like the "Domino Effect" and the "Communist sandwich" and to take advantage of great personalities like Che Guevara, Henry Kissinger, Mao Ze Dong, the Pope and others.
Also the players will be able to benefit from advance technologies, using gadgets right out of James Bond's laboratories and some famous equipment of real life spies.
Finally, the game features a series of random events that in the most part are real events well known to the majority of the public.

Tutorial video with horrible accent:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etlayL9BPEo

Games costs €9.95, free trial available.

And of course, the HoI3 based East vs. West from P'dox is still in development (I still think the Victoria 2 mechanics would work better, what with spheres of influences, crisis (from Heart of Darkness expansion), world market and economy focus . . . )
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maladict

The Twilight Struggle PC version should be out soonish iirc.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

I think I'll pass on anything that spells "governmant".

Syt

Quote from: 11B4V on April 15, 2013, 01:55:10 PM
Sucky graphics.

This is more personal
http://www.wargame-ab.com/?rub=videos

Meh, too twitchy. Now, if a Combat Mission game of it existed . . .
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

Sucky graphics.

I was actually wondering if games are allowed to still have graphics like that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

Quote from: Syt on April 15, 2013, 02:08:51 PM
Sucky graphics.

This is more personal

Yes sir, that would be sweet.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Syt

Quote from: 11B4V on April 15, 2013, 02:16:04 PM
Quote from: Syt on April 15, 2013, 02:08:51 PM
Sucky graphics.

This is more personal

Yes sir, that would be sweet.

I guess the best bet at this time would be the Achtung Panzer guys tackling it. Though they seem busy with tank sims about 1980s wars (Iran/Iraq, Afghanistan, Angola) or tactically covering Angola 1988; and I think a Nomonhan game is in the pipeline?
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 15, 2013, 02:07:24 PM
I think I'll pass on anything that spells "governmant".

And talks about Yuri Gagarin traveling to "the space".

11B4V

Quote from: Syt on April 15, 2013, 02:24:47 PM
I guess the best bet at this time would be the Achtung Panzer guys tackling it. Though they seem busy with tank sims about 1980s wars (Iran/Iraq, Afghanistan, Angola) or tactically covering Angola 1988; and I think a Nomonhan game is in the pipeline?

I would love them to cover the '56, '67, and '73 Arab beatdowns.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on April 15, 2013, 05:20:23 PM
I would love them to cover the '56, '67, and '73 Arab beatdowns.

LULZ, Patturion track paste.

fhdz

Quote from: Habbaku on April 16, 2013, 09:57:46 PM
Does "Papers, Please" count?

http://dukope.com/#ppl

:thumbsup:

Great game; been playing the alphas for a while now.
and the horse you rode in on

The Brain

Which seduction techniques are we talking about?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Alcibiades

Quote from: fahdiz on April 16, 2013, 10:55:47 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on April 16, 2013, 09:57:46 PM
Does "Papers, Please" count?

http://dukope.com/#ppl

:thumbsup:

Great game; been playing the alphas for a while now.

Tried the Beta, my family always dies regardless of how fast i can pass the immigrants through. 
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain