News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Your Place Of Birth.

Started by mongers, August 03, 2012, 05:40:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Where were your born; have you ever been back to the place ?

This is were I was born:

Out exploring this evening I has passing through the next but one town up the valley from where I live, when I though I should checkout where I was born, I'd never thought to do this before.

Thought I'd found it at the old cottage hospital in the town, still used by the NHS, but on enquiries from my mother, it turns out I was born in separate house, a mile or two out of town. 

From a quick googling, it appears to have been the mid-Victorian mansion of the local mill magnate, mill as it grain rather than textiles.
In 1948 it became a cottage hospital, I presume mainly used as a maternity ward, later changing to a nursing home and in the last few years transformed into a luxury flat complex.

I may make a trip to visit in in the next few days, as it's only just over the downs from here.

So what part if any has you're place of birth played in your life following your birth ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

The Krak de Shelf is nicer looking.

mongers

MadImmortalMan

This place. And no role whatsoever.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

mongers

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 03, 2012, 05:49:48 PM

This place. And no role whatsoever.

Damn, I forget American hospital can be quite big. 

Yes no role whatso ever here either, but I put the question in as some people are were born at home for instance.

Neil

The place I was born has since been razed to the ground and built over.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

South Baltimore General, then:

Harbor Hospital Center (A Division of MedStar Health, Inc.), now:

Ed Anger

I've lived in the same county for 39.5 out of 40 years. What do you think?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

katmai

Was called Denver General Hospital when i was born, but apparently now Called Denver Health Medical Center.

And like MiM, had no impact what so ever on rest of my life.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on August 03, 2012, 06:05:57 PM
And like MiM, had no impact what so ever on rest of my life.

Me neither.  Drove past it many, many times.  Took an arrest there once or twice.  Meh.  Just a hospital.

katmai

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 03, 2012, 06:05:50 PM

Ed's kin.

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Quote from: katmai on August 03, 2012, 06:09:24 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on August 03, 2012, 06:05:50 PM

Ed's kin.

I suggest you back off today. Srsly. Lest I get started.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Viking

NHS John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford England. The maternity ward had been open for less than 12 months and I was the largest baby ever born there. They also ended up putting my mom's maiden name on my birth certificate; this is a problem when you remember that icelandic names are patronyms, so apparently the hospital thought I was my maternal grandfather's daughter.

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Admiral Yi

So your legal name is Viking Helgasdottir?  :lol:

Razgovory

I was born out of my mother's vagina.  It never occurred to me to try to get back in.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017