News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Alex Trebek in Double Jeopardy

Started by jimmy olsen, March 06, 2019, 08:16:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

No!

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/03/06/entertainment/alex-trebek-pancreatic-cancer/index.html

QuoteAlex Trebek announces he has stage 4 pancreatic cancer
Sandra Gonzalez
By Sandra Gonzalez, CNN

Updated 0021 GMT (0821 HKT) March 7, 2019

(CNN)"Jeopardy" host Alex Trebek is hoping for a victory as he wages a battle against cancer.

The longtime game show host on Wednesday announced he's been diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer in a video posted to the show's official YouTube account.
"Now, normally, the prognosis for this is not very encouraging, but I'm going to fight this. And I'm going to keep working and with the love and support of my family and friends -- and with the help of your prayers also -- I plan to beat the low survival rate statistics for this disease," he said.
Pancreatic cancer, on average and across all stages, has a 5-year survival rate of 9%, according to the American Cancer Society.
Trebek, 78, has hosted "Jeopardy" since 1984, when the show began airing daily in syndication.
Sony Pictures Television chairman Mike Hopkins said in a statement Wednesday, "If anyone can beat this it's Alex. He has our full support as he tackles this challenge head-on."
Trebek is known for his quick wit and sense of humor, which was on display in his announcement, despite the somber message at its center.
"Truth told, I have to [keep hosting] because under the terms of my contract, I have to host 'Jeopardy' for three more years," he joked. "So help me. Keep the faith, and we'll win. We'll get it done."
Upon news of his diagnosis, former "Jeopardy" champions, celebrity fans and even fellow game show hosts have expressed support for Trebek.
I've said this before but Alex Trebek is in a way the last Cronkite: authoritative, reassuring TV voice you hear every night, almost to the point of ritual.

— Ken Jennings (@KenJennings) March 6, 2019
Oh my God. If anyone can beat this, you can. Sending heartfelt good thoughts and best wishes for a speedy and full recovery. We love you, Uncle Alex! https://t.co/D9PqihFJUh

— Brad Rutter (@bradrutter) March 6, 2019
Alex Trebek is hands down the person I've seen on my TV the most over the years and @Jeopardy is one of my favorite shows ever. Pulling for you Alex! #fuckcancer https://t.co/eGIXaR3Jo2

— Ike Barinholtz (@ikebarinholtz) March 6, 2019
The Sajak family is deeply saddened to hear of Alex Trebek's struggle with cancer. Our hearts go out to him and his family. But there is no one I know who is stronger and more determined, and I would never bet against him. We, and the entire country, are pulling for you, Alex.

— Pat Sajak (@patsajak) March 6, 2019
"The Sajak family is deeply saddened to hear of Alex Trebek's struggle with cancer," "Wheel of Fortune" host Pat Sajak wrote on Twitter. "Our hearts go out to him and his family. But there is no one I know who is stronger and more determined, and I would never bet against him. We, and the entire country, are pulling for you, Alex."
PAID CONTENT
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Grinning_Colossus

Stage IV pancreatic cancer has a 0% five-year survival rate. He'll more than likely be gone in a matter of months. This is really sad.  :(

Tim, you should be ashamed of yourself for making that pun when 'Final Jeopardy' is far more appropriate.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Razgovory

Yeah, that's not the kind of cancer you get better from.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

frunk

My aunt was diagnosed with this 2 years ago.  The best part was that we got to visit her before her health declined.

Caliga

A friend of mine's grandpa just died from this a few days ago.  Death sentence. :(

I recently learned Ruth Bader Ginsburg actually survived pancreatic cancer?  I knew she had had cancer but I didn't realize it was of the pancreas.  I assume it wasn't this far along when it was discovered.

Anyway, sad news.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

Some rare types of pancreatic cancers are treatable if caught early, AFAIK, and some are a death sentence no matter what.  Steve Jobs actually had good chances of surviving if he just listened to medical advice instead of opting for alternative medicine.

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on March 07, 2019, 09:44:53 PM
Some rare types of pancreatic cancers are treatable if caught early, AFAIK, and some are a death sentence no matter what.  Steve Jobs actually had good chances of surviving if he just listened to medical advice instead of opting for alternative medicine.

Alternative medicine is an alternative to getting cured.

Anyway very sad news about Trebek. It is hard to imagine Jeopardy without him.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

That's like The Price is Right with no Bob Barker. Nobody wants that.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

Quote from: Valmy on March 07, 2019, 09:46:01 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 07, 2019, 09:44:53 PM

Alternative medicine is an alternative to getting cured.

Anyway very sad news about Trebek. It is hard to imagine Jeopardy without him.

Well, some of us are old enough to remember Art Fleming.  But yeah, very sad news.