News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off the Record / Re: Brexit and the waning days...
Last post by Syt - Today at 02:39:31 AM
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/03/28/soldiers-beards-allowed-100-year-ban-overturned/

QuoteArmy allows beards as it ends 100-year ban
New policy will come into effect on Friday so that those on Easter leave have time to grow facial hair

Soldiers will be allowed to grow beards after the Army overturned a 100-year ban on facial hair, The Telegraph can reveal.

The King, who is Commander in Chief, signed off on the decision on Thursday to allow both officers and soldiers to wear beards.

The new policy will come into effect on Friday so that soldiers on Easter leave have time to grow a beard while away from work, The Telegraph understands.

Following a review of the Army's policy on appearances and beards, General Sir Patrick Sanders, the head of the Army, took the decision that "the appearance policy will change" after a survey of both serving and reservist troops.

The findings showed an "overwhelming majority" felt the Army needed to change its policy and allow soldiers to wear beards.

It comes after Grant Shapps, the Defence Secretary, said the beard ban was "ludicrous" when discussing the Army's recruitment crisis.

The move will bring the Army into line with the RAF and Royal Navy who already permit full beards.

However, troops have been told that conditions mean beards have to be "neat" as standards within the Army must not drop.

It was also stressed to personnel that the decision was not to be seen as a "free for all" and that any beards grown will be reviewed to ensure they are in line with regulations.

It is thought the original beard ban was introduced to ensure uniformity in appearance.

However, as the Army has struggled with recruitment, it has looked into ways to promote inclusivity and encourage men with beards to sign up.

Senior defence sources told The Telegraph there would be "dinosaurs" who will not agree with the decision.

They added: "Someone will say gas masks won't fit, but if there's a chemical threat then people will shave."

In a video released to personnel confirming the decision, Paul Carney, the Army Sergeant Major, said: "Our standards can't drop. The Army has a reputation for professionalism and a smart turnout, with our allies and with the British public.

"We must maintain and protect that reputation by continuing to look our best."

Huzzah! :cheers:
Off the Record / Re: Israel-Hamas War 2023
Last post by Admiral Yi - March 28, 2024, 08:17:32 PM
Quote from: Jacob on March 28, 2024, 06:09:21 PMI'd flip it around... are you aware of any time where Trump has chosen to not throw someone under the bus and/or stay loyal to them over protecting his ego or taking profit?

Outside his family I haven't seen any loyalty displayed.  But I'm talking about political calculation, not personal loyalty.
Off the Record / Re: TV/Movies Megathread
Last post by Admiral Yi - March 28, 2024, 08:02:03 PM
Shogun is all over my youtube feed.
Last post by HVC - March 28, 2024, 07:58:58 PM
I stay off Facebook :P the websites I follow, like io9, have little blurbs, but not that many comments. Not really showing up on my YouTube algorithm either. Coverage is nothing close to the new game of thrones, or the wheel of time for example, and I think shogun is better than either. But I admit I could just be missing it.
Last post by viper37 - March 28, 2024, 07:52:00 PM
Quote from: HVC on March 28, 2024, 04:30:39 PMNot seeing a lot  coverage of it online, so don't know if it's got a large following, but it deserves one.
Are you even online?  :P

It's everywhere.  In Canada's both official languages. ;)  Facebook random pages, Reddit posts & subs, historical forums questions about the reality of the depiction of some events. :)

There's been questions asked about a potential season 2, but the authors said it won't happen, it's a one season show.

I don't know about how popular it is elsewhere in the world, but in North America and France, it's a hit.
Last post by viper37 - March 28, 2024, 07:48:53 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 28, 2024, 10:29:08 AM
Quote from: viper37 on March 27, 2024, 07:02:04 PMok, I do, occasionally watch bad movies.  But at least, I don't do it on purpose.  :yuk:

Only bad television?
Only one NCIS show.  I can take a nap for one hour.  :sleep:
Last post by Josquius - March 28, 2024, 07:17:40 PM
"Luvvies" :bleeding:
That word has really been warped.
Got to love the "you can't tell me to be healthy for my own good!"
Last post by Tamas - March 28, 2024, 07:07:27 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 28, 2024, 06:40:13 PM(Although he's right on the Easter egg thing :ph34r:)

What he has done with Easter eggs is ruining them forever.
Last post by Sheilbh - March 28, 2024, 06:40:13 PM
(Although he's right on the Easter egg thing :ph34r:)
Last post by Sheilbh - March 28, 2024, 06:39:37 PM
Quote from: Jacob on March 28, 2024, 06:38:30 PMPsycho is a bad movie?
The Gus Van Sant remake :ph34r: