News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off the Record / Re: TV/Movies Megathread
Last post by Sheilbh - April 23, 2024, 11:28:20 AM
Quote from: Syt on April 23, 2024, 11:23:48 AMThinking about it some more, I guess the "average Joe" series are mostly workplace comedies now? The Office, Superstore, etc?
I think so.

But I was thinking about your post and how we've shifted. Were there any sitcoms about friends or flatmates etc (not family and not colleagues) before the 90s? I can't think of any off the top of my head :hmm:

Edit: Actually in a British context - maybe Hancock's Half Hour and Rising Damp.
Off the Record / Re: What does a BIDEN Presiden...
Last post by Sheilbh - April 23, 2024, 11:26:55 AM
Quote from: Syt on April 23, 2024, 11:19:04 AMBut some people still stick to that :P
Yes - although always weird that (at least in the English speaking world) the guys who are likely to use the "verily I say unto thee" version are normally preaching in conference centres with a laser light show and possibly a post-sermon Monster Truck demo, while the guys in cassocks with incense use post-1960s translations that fully aware of Biblical criticism etc :lol:
Off the Record / Re: TV/Movies Megathread
Last post by Syt - April 23, 2024, 11:23:48 AM
Thinking about it some more, I guess the "average Joe" series are mostly workplace comedies now? The Office, Superstore, etc?
Gaming HQ / Re: Victoria 3
Last post by Syt - April 23, 2024, 11:21:31 AM
Will be interesting to see if they can pull off the change in the DLC - having the building owners separate from the buildings, and potentially siphoning money from your economy to owners abroad (while providing jobs ... ) promises to change that dynamic a lot.
Last post by Syt - April 23, 2024, 11:19:04 AM
But some people still stick to that :P
Off the Record / Re: NHL Hockey thread
Last post by Barrister - April 23, 2024, 11:14:48 AM
Were the announcers really celebrating Matthews' "70 goal season" last night?
Off the Record / Re: Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-2...
Last post by Valmy - April 23, 2024, 11:11:50 AM
Quote from: Tamas on April 22, 2024, 03:56:12 PMAnalysis of the 2022 negotiations: Ukraine didn't agree to a cease fire because of the Western nations' scepticism about Russia's intentions and their commitment to support Ukraine.

This analysis is based on statements made by Ukraine? Or is this just guessing?

Just skeptical Ukraine was all prepared to give up but then a vague commitment by the West convinced them to sacrifice tens of thousands of their own people.
Off the Record / Re: Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-2...
Last post by Tamas - April 23, 2024, 10:47:35 AM
Yeah it's quite sad that even after all this the moment Russia pushes a "this is the West's fault, after all" narrative, so many people jump on the chance to engage in this weird arrogant self-flaggelation our post-imperialist societies (or rather our intelligentsia) like.
Last post by Valmy - April 23, 2024, 09:12:50 AM
Quote from: Syt on April 23, 2024, 12:45:49 AMI recall a uni professor for Latin complaining about literal Bible translations, especially the New Testament which (he said) was written in colloquial Greek with Jewish influences. His example was something like, when the translations says, "Verily, verily, I say unto you", the original is more akin to, "Yo, listen up, here's the thing:"

"Verily, verily, I say unto you" was an early 17th century way of saying "Yo, listen up, here's the thing:"
Gaming HQ / Re: Victoria 3
Last post by The Minsky Moment - April 23, 2024, 08:49:39 AM
What Syt said.  For small country it can be useful redress shortages because your construction and potential labor capacity is limited and you can't just build to import substitute everything. But if the partner is good at producing the same goods you are specializing in, it can be a problem.