News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off the Record / Re: Football (Soccer) Thread
Last post by FunkMonk - Today at 05:36:07 PM
Pool and Arsenal bottled it at home. I'm afraid it's 4 in a row for City, and possibly a repeat treble  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:
Off the Record / Re: Israel-Hamas War 2023
Last post by Admiral Yi - Today at 05:33:21 PM
Quote from: Barrister on Today at 04:47:39 PMI am very much trying to not get into rules and what is "required" about social media.

I just think as a society we should act with more grace and humility when stupid people say stupid things.

You opened that door counselor when you said people should not be fired.  One of two things follow from that: either we the general public have a duty to continue to buy their goods or services, or the employer has an obligation to eat the loss.
Off the Record / Re: The Bitcoin Thread
Last post by viper37 - Today at 05:23:40 PM
Quote from: Tamas on Today at 02:55:30 AMExcept these are not shares they may never get back to their former value.
No, they are not.

But some shares never get their value back.  I could invest in Lion Electric Vehicles right now at 1,07US$ a share.  It suffered an 87% loss over the last 3 months.  I'm quite positive the company will bounce back. 

But a stock so low could mean two things:
1) The company is going to be bought by a rival and suffer a rationalization and the stock will get lower before it jumps back taking many years to recoup my investment
2) The company will get off the stock market and privatize itself with the help of semi private equity funds in Québec and I will never recoup my investment in the shares.

Now, back the crypto.  I'm positive the Solana coins will still remain active for a few years and will regain at least what I paid for it + the transaction fees. 
Then I'll sell it, take my money and stick with the index funds in my non tax free savings account.

The bitcoin ETFs are there to stay.  There's enthusiasm for this kind of stuff.  I still have no idea what Bitcoin is suppose to provide that regular money can not (it's not even anonymous, nor safe), but I believe it will regain a lot of value and the ETFs will rise.  It's a risky financial product because the underlying asset is essentially based on wind.  But the payoff can be great and Bitcoin will be the last to fall, imho.

Last post by Admiral Yi - Today at 05:18:58 PM
Quote from: Josquius on Today at 04:10:26 PMIt was a theoretical of one extreme.
In this case it's a nobody who mentioned a silly conspiracy theory. Maybe once.?. No sign of her being utterly devoted to it. She even claims she misspoke.

Which one is it, a theoretical or an actual case?

I don't know what you mean by "silly" conspiracy theory.  I think they're all silly in that they ignore evidence.  Do you mean harmless?  As in, no possible harm could come from people thinking the Hamas kidnapping was a false flag operation?

If you treat this chick exactly as you would a Holocaust denier who says it maybe one? Showing no signs of being "utterly devoted" to it, then I've got no beef with you.  I suspect your response to that would be different.

QuoteMaybe I missed part of the story here. They "cancelled" somebody before getting doxed?

Engaging in shitty behaviour then acting shocked when it's done to you would indeed be beautiful but I'm not seeing that?

I don't know what you're talking about with cancelled before getting doxed.  Theoretical or specific case?
Last post by Sheilbh - Today at 05:09:48 PM
Quote from: Tamas on Today at 05:06:37 PMLiverpool cannot be low enough on the table for me to be satisfied with it.
Agree :ph34r:
Last post by viper37 - Today at 05:08:17 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on Today at 04:38:15 PMI know not many of us remain on this board, but I thought you were a Christian? Do you have no issue w/Islamic theology?

Islam is an ideology, it is not, and should never be treated, as sacrosanct. While it has become a meme term, "Islamofascism" is real, and it is a dominant form of Islamism present in many Islamic-majority regions.

Because Christianity is much better?

No abortions, check.
Homosexuality is a sin, check.
No acceptance for LGBT, check.
Theocracy is an ideal, check.
Atheists should be executed, check.
Blasphemy is a grave sin that should be punished, check.

I don't really see the difference between one zealot and another.
Last post by Tamas - Today at 05:06:37 PM
Liverpool cannot be low enough on the table for me to be satisfied with it.
Last post by garbon - Today at 05:02:40 PM
Quote from: Josquius on Today at 05:01:44 PM
Quote from: garbon on Today at 04:56:01 PM
Quote from: Barrister on Today at 04:47:39 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on Today at 04:43:19 PMIf your racist uncle goes online and says how much he hates blacks, is he not "trying to influence the wider public debate?"

Which gets us back to my video of the racist lawyer.  He did not post his rant online himself; he was filmed by a third party.  Am I required to continue to do business with his firm under your code?

I am very much trying to not get into rules and what is "required" about social media.

I just think as a society we should act with more grace and humility when stupid people say stupid things.

Racism is still a problem. Why should I be tolerant of people who say racist things?

Elderly guy who sometimes slips up and says "coloured" vs. Guy your age who goes out of his way to blow dog whistles and spread offensive memes.

It's not that the old guy did nothing wrong. But priorities.
And even if you had all the time in the world do both really warrant the same punishment?

This seems irrelevant. Try again?
Last post by Josquius - Today at 05:01:44 PM
Quote from: garbon on Today at 04:56:01 PM
Quote from: Barrister on Today at 04:47:39 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on Today at 04:43:19 PMIf your racist uncle goes online and says how much he hates blacks, is he not "trying to influence the wider public debate?"

Which gets us back to my video of the racist lawyer.  He did not post his rant online himself; he was filmed by a third party.  Am I required to continue to do business with his firm under your code?

I am very much trying to not get into rules and what is "required" about social media.

Racism is still a problem. Why should I be tolerant of people who say racist things?

Elderly guy who sometimes slips up and says "coloured" vs. Guy your age who goes out of his way to blow dog whistles and spread offensive memes.

It's not that the old guy did nothing wrong. But priorities.
And even if you had all the time in the world do both really warrant the same punishment?
Last post by Josquius - Today at 04:56:32 PM
Man city on top displeases me greatly.
Arsenal or Liverpool. Either would be fine. Liverpool best but ultimately Meh.
Another city win though. Ugh.