News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off the Record / Re: What does a TRUMP presiden...
Last post by Jacob - Today at 01:21:58 PM
Saw a good post on reddit that boiled down to something like:

It is typical in the US for public trust in the Supreme Court to be partisan. I.e. when the court comes out more progressive you'll have (rough numbers for illustrative purposes) 70% of Democrats trusting it and only 30% Republicans for a 50% trust rating (leaving out independents at this point).

The current court has the expected low level of trust from Democrats at 20% or whatever, because it's a very reactionary GOP court. However, in spite of it being a reactionary court, it did not support Trump's attempt to overthrow the election and drew a few hard lines against him in the past, which has suppressed support among Republicans and it's closer to 40% than the "normal" 70%, so therefore the overall approval rating is really low.
Off the Record / Re: TV/Movies Megathread
Last post by Eddie Teach - Today at 01:06:17 PM
For All Mankind and Foundation are both on Apple. Decent entertainment.
Off the Record / Re: Football (Soccer) Thread
Last post by Syt - Today at 12:52:36 PM
Last post by Syt - Today at 12:52:26 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on Today at 11:52:14 AMI can tell you that Spurs fans have been overjoyed to discover that meaning :lol:
:lol:
Last post by FunkMonk - Today at 12:50:55 PM
I'm gooning right now  :ph34r:

That is support a certain football club not the new meaning the younguns made
Off the Record / Re: NHL Hockey thread
Last post by Barrister - Today at 12:22:26 PM
OK serious question:

I agreed to take my kids to the Oilers watch party tonight.  The Oilers game is in Los Angeles, but we're going to the arena to watch the game on the jumbotron.  Tickets are sold out it should be fairly raucous even though we're only watching the tv broadcast.

I didn't realize however that the Jets are playing at the exact same time! :o

So obviously I'm still taking my kids because I said I would.

But the question is - would I be a tool if I wore my Jets jersey?

You see it sometimes at live games - that guy who is wearing a jersey of neither of the teams that is actually playing.  The arena staff will often do a "lost fan" bit where they put that person up on the jumbotron during a TV time out.

But given that it's the playoffs, that the Jets are playing at the same time, and that it's only a watch party - can I pull it off?
Off the Record / Re: What are you listening to?
Last post by Savonarola - Today at 12:16:19 PM
Mott the Hoople - Mott (1973)

From what I've read, a lot of people wondered if Mott could survive without David Bowie.  They did, and came back with an even better album than "All the Young Dudes."  I'd put this as one of the masterpieces of Glam (admittedly not a huge category) along with "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust" and "Electric Warrior."  They couldn't survive success, though, and Mick Ralphs would leave to form Bad Company after this album.  Ian Hunter would go solo shortly thereafter. 

It seems like there shouldn't be so many songs about loss innocence and regret after just one successful album (All the Way to Memphis, The Ballad of Mott the Hoople); but that is what Ian Hunter did best. 
Off the Record / Re: 2024 US Presidential Elect...
Last post by Savonarola - Today at 12:00:49 PM
Biden says the quiet part out loud:

;)
Last post by Sheilbh - Today at 11:52:14 AM
I can tell you that Spurs fans have been overjoyed to discover that meaning :lol:
Off the Record / Re: [Canada] Canadian Politics...
Last post by Barrister - Today at 11:47:49 AM
Here's an interesting article from the fairly left-leaning Vox:

https://www.vox.com/politics/24140480/canada-pierre-poilievre-conservative-party-populism-democracy

The headline is "Canada's polite populism".

The first few paragraphs:

Quote"Are we a country that looks out for each other ... or do you go down a path of amplifying anger, division and fear?"

That's how Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau described the stakes in his country's upcoming election in an interview with Vox's Today, Explained this week — outlining the 2025 contest as no ordinary election but a referendum on the very soul of Canada.

This existential framing is an unsubtle shot at Trudeau's rival, Conservative Party leader Pierre Poilievre, a populist firebrand who is currently outpolling the prime minister by a wide margin. Poilievre rose to party leadership as a champion of the extremist trucker convoy that occupied Ottawa in January 2022, and since then has regularly pandered to far-right voters. He has proposed defunding the CBC (Canada's widely respected public broadcaster) and repeatedly promoted a conspiracy theory in which Trudeau is in league with the World Economic Forum.

There's a reason that Trudeau and many others have directly linked Poilievre to Trump: His political style practically invites it. But how accurate is the comparison? Is Canada really poised to be the next Western country to fall to the far-right populist global wave?

The answer, as best as I can tell, is mixed.

It's true that, by Canadian standards, Poilievre is an especially hard-nosed figure, one far more willing to use extreme rhetoric and attack political opponents in harsh terms.

But on policy substance, he's actually considerably more moderate than Trump or European radicals. Mostly eschewing the demagogic focus on culture and immigration that defines the new global far right, Poilievre is primarily concerned with classic conservative themes of limited government. His biggest campaign promises at present aren't slashing immigration rates or cracking down on crime, but building more housing and repealing Canada's carbon tax.

It really reads not as an endorsement of Poilievre, but more like a "why couldn't we have right-wing opponents like this in the US".  I'm not familiar with the author, but his Vox bio does say that before working at Vox he worked at Think Progress, a pretty explicitly left-leaning site, so I think it's fair to call him a left-winger or a progressive.