News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off the Record / Re: Brexit and the waning days...
Last post by Josquius - Today at 05:25:37 AM
Privatisation at the best of times is a mistake. Doing it with the water companies was just downright lunacy that really highlighted how it was all about ideology rather than any genuine belief it was a better solution.

On the planning thing of Gups... Shame we can't see real change. It does sound like good news on the surface but I can't help but worry some really awful stuff will be pushed through with this too. Developers cutting corners and delivering things with genuine issues confident complaints there will be grouped together with the nimby complaints.

My fingers are still crossed the government does what the system was meant for and start planting new towns around rural train stations.
Off the Record / Re: Brexit and the waning days...
Last post by HVC - Today at 05:13:39 AM
You have to build homes with special bricks for bees and birds to save nature! But dumping untreated sewage into waterways is fine, nature won't mind :P

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2024/apr/20/dirty-secret-insiders-say-uk-water-firms-knowingly-breaking-sewage-laws
Off the Record / Re: NHL Hockey thread
Last post by Barrister - Today at 12:02:50 AM
In more proper hockey talk - YOUR Winnipeg Jets face off against the Colorado Avalanche.

So I mean the Jets have had a pretty good season, securing second in the Central.  They were tops of the league at one point, and Connor Hellebuyck seem to be the favourite to win the Vezina.  They also just crushed the Avs 7-0 earlier in the week.

I like the Jets against the Avs (though it's not going to be as easy as 7-0 suggests), but getting past Dallas in the second round would be a different story.
Last post by Barrister - Today at 12:00:00 AM
No Viper!

Do you honestly think the NHL believes there is more money to be made in fucking Utah?  That there's some horde of mormons out there that'll become huge hockey fans if only there is a team placed in Salt Lake City?

No.

It is honestly as simple as the fact they found a guy who would spend $1.2 billion to put a team there.

If Saskatoon had someone willing to spend $1.2 billion to put a team in Saskatchewan, that's where the team would be going instead.

It's just that cold.  It's all about franchise value.
Last post by Valmy - April 19, 2024, 11:55:58 PM
Ah the NHL playoffs...a war between contenders sure that this year is their year and the Washington Capitals who are probably the shittiest playoff team since back when 80% of the league made the playoffs. A team that is either able to win 2-1 or lose 7-0.

The Caps cannot even suck properly these days.
Last post by viper37 - April 19, 2024, 11:55:10 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 19, 2024, 10:14:09 PMNo, there isn't and PKP doesn't have 1.2B USD to spend on this.

Just like with a MLB team, no one is really interested in paying with their own money.
PKP alone, no.

PKP with others, if he was willing to listen, yes.

The MLB needs a tax-payer funded stadium.  Until then, ain't going to happen.  This is the way it works for most cities.
Last post by viper37 - April 19, 2024, 11:53:49 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 19, 2024, 09:11:50 PM
Quote from: viper37 on April 19, 2024, 07:09:48 PMThis does not feel like satire:
NHL to expand to every city in North America except Quebec City

QuoteIf you don't have an NHL ready arena don't worry. Just not speaking french or having a rich history of loving hockey is enough for us!"

Ryan Smith, owner of the Utah Jazz, and soon-to-be owner of the former Arizona Coyotes, is spending $1.2 billion to buy the Coyotes.

Is there anyone out there willing to spend $1.2 billion to buy a team in Quebec City?

It's a real shame, but money is the only language the NHL will listen to.  I don't think PKP had $500 mil a decade ago to get an expansion team back when Vegas entered the league, and I'm sure he doesn't have $1.2 bil now.

I'd love to see the Nords back.  But the NHL's actions are more easily explainable than just being anti-french bigots.
The price was not 1.2 billion$ a decade ago though. :)

The NHL sunk money in Arizona.  Now they recoup their costs.  It's fair.  But they could have made money elsewhere.

I know it ain't about racism or language.  It's about expanding markets.  Montreal dominates Quebec and the NHL already dominates Canada.  One more team in Quebec will not increase the amount of $$ for the TV rights in the next bidding round.  Even if it was in Hamilton, I don't think Rogers would be more.

But in the US, there are still new viewers to get.

No matter what they do, we are still going to watch the games.  The NHL teams arenas in Canada are still going to be filled, the merchandises is still going to sold and the games are gonna be watched.

Maybe if we really increase our pop to 100 million soccer watchers there's something to be done. :glare:
Last post by Barrister - April 19, 2024, 11:47:17 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 19, 2024, 10:14:09 PMNo, there isn't and PKP doesn't have 1.2B USD to spend on this.

Just like with a MLB team, no one is really interested in paying with their own money.

Winnipeg is so lucky to have gotten back in to the league when we did. 2011 the price was $170 mil IIRC.  Now it's 1.2 bil.  I know Winnipeg has the wealthiest man in Canada as part of it's ownership group, but almost no chance he'd step up to finance a hockey team at that price.
Last post by HVC - April 19, 2024, 11:19:23 PM
Hamilton doesn't speak French and will never get a team either.
Last post by Grey Fox - April 19, 2024, 10:14:09 PM
No, there isn't and PKP doesn't have 1.2B USD to spend on this.