News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off the Record / Re: What does a BIDEN Presiden...
Last post by Barrister - Today at 02:35:12 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on Today at 02:09:05 PMDoes Wolf know koine Greek?  It's not a good idea to try a literal translation if you don't know the language.

She was clear she was using a Koine greek to english dictionary.

Using a dictionary like that can be great for getting the basic gist of something - but is hardly a guarantee of getting the most important information out of a text.
Off the Record / Re: Indian Elections 2024
Last post by Barrister - Today at 02:27:56 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on Today at 01:10:01 PM
Quote from: Barrister on Today at 11:41:13 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 22, 2024, 06:21:56 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 22, 2024, 03:48:46 PMThe BJP are much more tolerant of Sikhism and Buddhism because both originate from within India, whereas Islam comes from outside and is seen more negatively.

I've always thought that Islam being the religion of the conquerors has something to do with it.

Isn't that saying the same thing?

Indonesia was not conquered by Muslims.  China, Japan and Korea were not conquered by Buddhists.

So?

If you're a hindu nationalist it doesn't matter what happened in Indonesia or east asia.

Christianity didn't conquer a lot of areas that later became Christian.  But the Brits did come to control India, so Christianity is seen as a foreign influence.
Off the Record / Re: TV/Movies Megathread
Last post by celedhring - Today at 02:25:10 PM
Middle/Low class costumbrism seems pretty much tied to comedy, which is at a bit of a low ebb in the current mainstream culture for some reason.
Off the Record / Re: TV/Movies Megathread
Last post by Barrister - Today at 02:16:40 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on Today at 01:19:39 PMThe King of Queens?

Fits as being a lower class family comedy.  Hardly any cultural impact though IMHO.
Last post by Razgovory - Today at 02:09:05 PM
Does Wolf know koine Greek?  It's not a good idea to try a literal translation if you don't know the language.
Off the Record / Re: Israel-Hamas War 2023
Last post by Razgovory - Today at 02:04:57 PM
Quote from: grumbler on Today at 01:04:38 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 22, 2024, 11:28:05 PMSlogans heard at Columbia:

"We say justice, you say how? Burn Tel Aviv to the ground!"

"Al-Qassam you make us proud! Take another soldier out!"

"Hamas, we love you! We support your rockets, too!"

"Red, black, green, and white, we support Hamas' fight!"

"It is right to rebel, al-Qassam, give them hell!

Not that catchy, but Josq has told me that nobody supports Hamas.

Where were you "at Columbia" that you heard these statements?  Or was it just a dream?
Read it in a news article.
Gaming HQ / Re: Crusader Kings III
Last post by Jacob - Today at 01:54:29 PM
I'm looking forward to it :)

Update on my current After the End game - I'm close to forming the Empire of Cascadia, and have been raiding down the California coast. I just sacked San Francisco, which gave a good payout.

After I form the Empire of Cascadia, I'll probably look to conquer more kingdoms and place relatives on their thrones, but keep my territory contained. I might hybridize my culture (Haida) with that of my capital (Canuck)... not sure yet.

One weirdness is that I'm a clan based government (which I don't have much experience with), but I can't find the tax jurisdiction tab. I have an option to look for tax collectors, but nowhere to place anyone as such. Kind of weird.
Last post by Crazy_Ivan80 - Today at 01:51:45 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on Today at 12:23:10 PMWait until Wolf sees that crazy Mel Gibson movie and realizes that Jesus was actually a native Aramaic speaker.
Better keep her away from Qurans then or we'll have a jihad on our hands... another one.
Last post by Crazy_Ivan80 - Today at 01:50:13 PM
Quote from: Valmy on Today at 12:16:52 PMThat is why the colloquial ones are better at getting people to actually read and understand the Bible, for the exact same reason translating it from the vulgate made sense back in the early 17th Century. Presuming people reading and understanding the Bible is something you want  :P

Given the fundies it appears that translating the Bible helped with the reading, but not the understanding...
Last post by Caliga - Today at 01:24:28 PM
Quote from: Syt on Today at 01:15:03 PMIt's weirdly ironic. Translating the Bible into language people could understand (English, German etc.) without need for interlocutors in the form of pastors/priests was once a transgressive and groundbreaking move. Now, these centuries old translations have become more difficult to understand for contemporary Christians, but now you have again some conservatives pushing back on updating translations, sticking to the old ones. :D
My recollection is that this was exactly the point he was making... Luther wanted EVERYONE to be able to read the Bible for themselves.  If the language is too difficult for Joe Sixpack to understand, then you are going against the spirit of what the Reformation was all about.