News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Quote from: Zoupa on Today at 09:33:00 AMInstead they've switched to make the war as costly as possible to russia. The Black Sea fleet is decimated, Belgorod is getting bombed daily, your refineries are on fire: leave Ukraine and it stops. Either that or general collapse/civil war in russia.

The Black Sea fleet attacks have had strategic value because it's taken away the fleet as a weapon and allowed Ukraine some freedom of action economically.

More generally, however, Ukraine simply doesn't have the means to execute a punishment strategy anywhere near sufficient for that to be effective, assuming that such a strategy had any hope of success even if means were far greater.  Putin has sent hundreds of thousands of young men to their death and murdered the leading opposition leader and Russians meekly accepted his recoronation.  Thinking that adding some kopecks to gasoline prices is going to move the needle to wishful thinking.
Off the Record / Re: Fitness 2023
Last post by crazy canuck - Today at 09:55:38 AM
Woot back to 305 on the bench
Off the Record / Re: TV/Movies Megathread
Last post by viper37 - Today at 09:43:17 AM
Quote from: Sophie Scholl on March 27, 2024, 08:23:51 PMWe'll see if it disappoints me yet again.  :lol:
Off the Record / Re: Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-2...
Last post by The Brain - Today at 09:42:20 AM
Friends like these...
Off the Record / Re: TV/Movies Megathread
Last post by viper37 - Today at 09:40:15 AM
Quote from: Valmy on March 27, 2024, 07:56:37 PM"To be clear, the prequels got better as they went along. The third one is actually pretty great." LOL hard disagree Rolling Stone.
The Rolling Stone is supposed to be this big cultural reference, but I can never find myself agreeing with them on more than 50% of what they write. :)

But, if you look at the younger generation and their appreciation of the prequel trilogy, this is their Star Wars, they grew up with it as kids, and somehow, they seem to like it and find some beauty in it (the story).  I don't know what they see that I can't, but they do.

The Mysteries of the Force are impenetrable.   :sleep: 

Last post by Zoupa - Today at 09:38:38 AM
Quote from: Tamas on Today at 08:51:52 AMHasn't the US denied they made that demand?
QuoteDepartment of State Press Briefing – March 26, 2024
MATTHEW MILLER, DEPARTMENT SPOKESPERSON

QUESTION: The Ukrainians have recently said after some reports about the U.S. warning them not to target Russian oil refineries that they understand those warnings but they have certain military targets that they will continue to target. Can you just bring us up to speed with regard to those conversations between the U.S. and Ukraine and if you guys have recently been telling them that they should not go after these Russian oil refineries?

MR MILLER: So I'm not going to speak to specific conversations, but it has always been our position since the outset of this war that we do not encourage or support Ukraine taking strikes outside its own territory.

:wacko:
Last post by The Brain - Today at 09:34:28 AM
If the US fears the Trump victory then they have more reason to send loads of help before election night. Chop chop. Works both ways.
Last post by Zoupa - Today at 09:33:32 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on Today at 08:43:23 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on Today at 08:25:00 AMBut what are the alternatives for Ukraine, that Ukraine is capable of hitting and has the equipment to hit?

. . .Otherwise not great if you're telling them not to do x type of strike without providing the means to do y type of strike.

I agree with those points; I said basically the same above.

I still think it's fair to consider the efficacy of the strikes.  There is a real concern on the other side - if the strikes spook the markets enough to cause world prices to spike, and that helps a Trump victory, the damage done to Ukraine's prospect is far, FAR greater than any impact on Russian military effectiveness.

"Hey Ukrainians, can you die more quietly please?"
Last post by Zoupa - Today at 09:33:00 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on Today at 08:38:38 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on Today at 12:48:45 AMhttps://www.reuters.com/business/energy/russia-increases-gasoline-imports-belarus-domestic-supplies-shrink-2024-03-27/#:~:text=This%20year%2C%20Russia%20has%20again,were%20no%20shipments%20from%20Belarus.

OK.  And how does that impact Russia's military capacity or Ukraine's ability to win?

After the failure of adequate sanctions, military support, and the 2023 counteroffensive, I believe Ukrainian command has realized that the war will not be won on the battlefield by some brilliant maneuver. The discrepancy of forces is too great and the West does not care enough.

Instead they've switched to make the war as costly as possible to russia. The Black Sea fleet is decimated, Belgorod is getting bombed daily, your refineries are on fire: leave Ukraine and it stops. Either that or general collapse/civil war in russia.
Off the Record / Re: Israel-Hamas War 2023
Last post by viper37 - Today at 09:27:00 AM
Quote from: Tamas on Today at 09:11:37 AMI think you guys keep missing an important point: a decisive portion of loudly religious people are only loudly religious to find excuses for being the absolute bastards which they are. They take the teachings of their religion about as seriously as your average atheist.
I disagree.

I take my atheism very seriously.  :mad: