News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off the Record / Re: NHL Hockey thread
Last post by Barrister - Today at 03:26:52 PM
Quote from: HVC on Today at 02:05:14 PMLawyer beaten and left in an alley, News at 11

See that's the last thing I'd worry about.  I've worn a Jets jersey to Rogers Place lots of time - when the Jets are the visiting team.  It's actually fun - never really been hassled, I'm definitely not the only one (lots of us Toban expats out in Alberta).

Just more wondering about wearing it when the Jets aren't even playing - but then again it's only a watch party to begin with.
Off the Record / Re: TV/Movies Megathread
Last post by Josquius - Today at 03:06:18 PM
Schmigadoon was a fun short series.
Last post by Barrister - Today at 03:02:14 PM
So I would say Ted Lasso is worth the price of an Apple TV sub by itself.  I loved that show.

That being said, nothing else on the platform has every really grabbed me.
Off the Record / Re: [Canada] Canadian Politics...
Last post by Barrister - Today at 03:00:45 PM
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-ford-announce-honda-ev-deal-1.7184495

So Honda announces a $15 billion dollar investment in electric vehicles and battery manufacturing.  This is being funded by a total of $5 billion in "incentives" from both Ontario and the Feds.  This will in turn create over 1,000 "well-paying manufacturing jobs".

Uh, guys - that's about $5 million per job.  They'd damn well better be well-paying.
Last post by FunkMonk - Today at 02:59:43 PM
Also on Apple TV, Lessons in Chemistry and Palm Royale are enjoyable.
Off the Record / Re: The Off Topic Topic
Last post by Barrister - Today at 02:55:17 PM
I just ran across this story - it's awesome.  In 1955 an onion farmer / commodity trader Vincent Kosuga managed to corner the US market on onions.  He bought almost every onion available for sale in the US, started selling them at ridiculous prices and made a small fortune.  He then proceeded to short onions (since his vast collection of onions was beginning to spoil), flooded the market with onions, and made a second fortune on his short positions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincent_Kosuga

https://www.npr.org/2015/10/22/450769853/the-great-onion-corner-and-the-futures-market

Congress responded by banning the sale of onion futures - a ban which remains to this day.
Off the Record / Re: The China Thread
Last post by Josquius - Today at 02:39:51 PM
Apparently?

Just going off what you're saying here but it sounds like "officially we totally snub you but in reality we recognise we have some very serious shit to talk about" "
Off the Record / Re: Brexit and the waning days...
Last post by Josquius - Today at 02:36:30 PM
The trouble with the talk of a firewall against anti semitism, as great as it sounds in theory, when you think about it in detail raises lots of questions.
The very definition of anti semitism is under attack at the moment with loads of attempts to paint any criticism of Israel as anti semitic, then there's the varying interpretations of Palestine will be free....

I can't see an absolute zero tolerance on anti semitism being practical as if manage to get rid of the nuts screaming death to the Jews the opposition groups will just find something else to insist is anti semitism.

I'd hope there'd come a level where what they're doing would be recognised and disregarded, but I don't rate the chances. And the practicalities of even getting to that point.... It'd be tough.

I suppose it is better to say you have zero tolerance on anti semitism but obviously be fighting a doomed battle to enforce that to the satisfaction of some as opposed to saying nothing on the topic. Getting rid of the most overt examples would be a win all round even if some wouldn't recognise it.
But still. They're in a tough place.
Off the Record / Re: The China Thread
Last post by Jacob - Today at 02:29:14 PM
Apparently Xi met with Blinken now, which is the opposite of a snub.
Off the Record / Re: The Off Topic Topic
Last post by crazy canuck - Today at 02:08:31 PM
The plague is spreading.