News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off the Record / Re: TV/Movies Megathread
Last post by Tonitrus - Today at 09:02:20 PM
Yeah, Perfect Strangers and Bosom Buddies (despite having Tom Hanks...before hitting it big) were pretty B-grade, even in their time.

Some shows are just one-season blips, or middling in ratings.  And only watch-too-much-tv nerd kids like myself remember.

I mean, who remembers Small Wonder, Mr. Belvedere, or that there was actually a Rambo saturday morning cartoon.  :P

Off the Record / Re: [Canada] Canadian Politics...
Last post by Barrister - Today at 08:59:17 PM
I know Mark Carney is a smart guy, and very capable, but he really strikes me as Michael Ignatieff v 2.0 as a federal politician.

I mean you can pretty much just copy and paste the opposition ads from Ignatieff's era.
Off the Record / Re: TV/Movies Megathread
Last post by Barrister - Today at 08:50:06 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on Today at 04:32:25 PMOnly via The Simpsons, Family Guy etc:
All in the Family
Three's Company
Beverly Hillbillies
(Weirdly also Littlest Hobo too I think :lol:)

Not heard of:
Green Acres
Honeymooners
Bosom Buddies
Perfect Strangers
Laverne & Shirley

OK now I'm really curious - the Littlest Hobo crossed the pond?  That show was SO CHEAP, and so obvious CanCon fodder.  It was about a dog that had various adventures of the week.

Just to check - this show?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p8oeiVDcx4

Otherwise on the list - the Honeymooners is an absolute classic starring Jackie Gleason, but it goes way back to the 50s I think.  As mentioned it was an obvious inspiration for the Flintstones.  I remember a pretty explicit reference to it in the second episode of Futurama.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P84NiVGJsw

Green Acres was famous for starring Eva Gabor (sister to Zsa Zsa Gabor).  I don't think I've ever seen an episode, though the formula was pretty simple as I understand it - a wealthy NYC couple move to the country to start farming.

Laverne and Shirley was famous in it's time (It was actually a spin off from Happy Days).  Bosom Buddies and Perfect Strangers you aren't missing anything.
Off the Record / Re: Israel-Hamas War 2023
Last post by viper37 - Today at 08:46:20 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on Today at 08:42:39 PM
Quote from: viper37 on Today at 08:39:37 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on Today at 06:30:08 PMI will continue to come here and express my negative judgement of protestors who call for more dead Israelis.  You can call it whining if you want but I see things differently.
OvB and Raz are certainly whining and making a fuss about a few protestors.

I think this is a better answer.

Their actions don't constitute whining IMO either.
Let's agree to disagree on that.

Last post by Admiral Yi - Today at 08:42:39 PM
Quote from: viper37 on Today at 08:39:37 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on Today at 06:30:08 PMI will continue to come here and express my negative judgement of protestors who call for more dead Israelis.  You can call it whining if you want but I see things differently.

Their actions don't constitute whining IMO either.
Off the Record / Re: [Canada] Canadian Politics...
Last post by viper37 - Today at 08:42:04 PM
The tv show is in French, but listen to Mark Carney's discourse (in English).

This is Prime Minister's material.  And I'd never consider voting for the LPC.  But still, that's a PM right there.

Right after the speech the hosts says that Carney "might want to replace Justin Trudeau" and Dimitri Soudas half jokes that "might" is one word too much in that sentence. :sleep:

I really like Soudas too. It's a shame he's a Federalist, such a smart guy. :P

He later says that Liberal political advisors in the GTA are actively preparing for Mark Carney's campaign to the leadership of the party, but what Carney really wants is to be nominated at the head of the party, no leadership race.

Also, the Libs apparently hope to reduce their spread with the Cons by 5% every 6 months until the election is called.  I wish them good luck on that. They couldn't move the needle with their budget, I don't see them doing anything important enough to recapture their losses.

Last post by viper37 - Today at 08:41:39 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on Today at 06:23:08 PM
Quote from: viper37 on Today at 05:49:59 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on Today at 04:14:19 PMThe goal of the campus Jew-haters: To render Israel indefensible, in both senses of the word
All 5 of them?

Good luck!

Fuck off Nazi.

QuotePresident Donald Trump maintained he "answered perfectly" when he said there were "very fine people on both sides" of clashes at a white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia.
Off the Record / Re: What does a TRUMP presiden...
Last post by Admiral Yi - Today at 08:40:56 PM

Giuliani and Meadows indicted in AZ fake electors case.
Last post by viper37 - Today at 08:39:37 PM