The Hive: The Malthus Bug Thread

Started by Malthus, April 12, 2013, 09:52:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: lustindarkness on October 01, 2013, 01:05:19 PM
Uh, no, hell no.

They are adorable.  :wub:

Well, except that they appear to be dead.  :(
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/01/giant-asian-hornets-killing-people-china_n_4023249.html?utm_hp_ref=green&ir=Green

QuoteAccording to The Guardian, at least "28 people have died and hundreds have been injured in a wave of attacks by giant hornets in central China." The hornets, also known as Vespa mandarinia, have reportedly "chased [victims] for hundreds of meters... and stung [them] as many as 200 times."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

Quote from: garbon on October 01, 2013, 06:10:15 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/01/giant-asian-hornets-killing-people-china_n_4023249.html?utm_hp_ref=green&ir=Green

QuoteAccording to The Guardian, at least "28 people have died and hundreds have been injured in a wave of attacks by giant hornets in central China." The hornets, also known as Vespa mandarinia, have reportedly "chased [victims] for hundreds of meters... and stung [them] as many as 200 times."

Those are pretty fucking scary. They should produce more Japanese bees to fight these, their defense against the giant hornets looks awesome.

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Malthus

Heh! Globalization!

QuoteIf humans can live with these pests, then giant Asian hornets shouldn't present too much of a challenge, right? We might soon find out: The hornets were reported in Illinois last year.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Liep on October 01, 2013, 06:49:22 PM

Those are pretty fucking scary. They should produce more Japanese bees to fight these, their defense against the giant hornets looks awesome.

I read somewhere that they cook the hornets to death with their body heat. Sort of like teens on Escasy at a rave in the 90s.  ;)

HVC

Oh crap, wasp. Quick everybody, orgy!
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

merithyn

GET ME OUT OF HERE!! :ultra:

QuoteIf humans can live with these pests, then giant Asian hornets shouldn't present too much of a challenge, right? We might soon find out: The hornets were reported in Illinois last year.

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Caliga

We seem to have had an invasion of some sort of stinkbug this year.  I've had one in my office at work for weeks... I keep meaning to catch him and release him outside but never remember to do it when I actually have the time.  I read that these stinkbugs were accidentally introduced from China.  BIG SURPRISE THERE
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: merithyn on October 02, 2013, 11:54:07 AM
Relax, they won't do much here.  China is one of those countries, like India, where a bizarre amount of people die from seemingly mundane stuff.

Example:

QuoteBus accident in Chicago, six people injured

The same thing in India:

QuoteBus accident in Mumbai, 785 people killed, 129 missing
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on October 02, 2013, 11:58:17 AM
Relax, they won't do much here.  China is one of those countries, like India, where a bizarre amount of people die from seemingly mundane stuff.

Example:

The same thing in India:

I assume the average American is fat enough to absorb the wasp's venom with little harm.  :P

viper37

You married a Canadian.  Qui prend mari, prend pays ("who takes husband, takes country"), so time to make it true, before these critters move over here :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

merithyn

Quote from: viper37 on October 02, 2013, 03:54:28 PM
You married a Canadian.  Qui prend mari, prend pays ("who takes husband, takes country"), so time to make it true, before these critters move over here :P

It's on the table. Wild Card: Ex-husband.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

viper37

Quote from: merithyn on October 03, 2013, 02:07:13 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 02, 2013, 03:54:28 PM

It's on the table. Wild Card: Ex-husband.
Well.  It's either facing Malthus' new friends, or your ex-husband.  Pick your poison.  :P

This is why I like living in Quebec.  Despite the global warming thing, winters are still harsh enough to kill most of these critters.  No giant spiders or snakes sneaking into my bedroom. :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on October 02, 2013, 11:58:17 AM

Example:

The same thing in India:

:lol:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017