The Hive: The Malthus Bug Thread

Started by Malthus, April 12, 2013, 09:52:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on August 31, 2020, 01:32:12 PM
Usually you want to let spiders be because they eat insects :hmm:

But I guess if they are giant sex spiders things might change :P

A bug that eats other bus is still a bug
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on September 02, 2020, 02:00:17 AM

spiders aren't bugs :P
Anyway, at that size, they'll run out of insects soon enough:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhoPtDprVU8
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Tamas on September 01, 2020, 03:26:10 PM
Told ya it was time for these fuckers to run amok. They should be back to hiding in about a month or so. Disgusting SOBs.

Thought this was the thread o Trump supporters for a second.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Tamas

First sighting a GHS in this flat. The fucker managed to hide between kitchen furniture before I could kill it too. Unnerving.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on September 02, 2020, 03:06:18 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 02, 2020, 02:00:17 AM

spiders aren't bugs :P
Anyway, at that size, they'll run out of insects soon enough:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhoPtDprVU8

On the other hand a bug that can eat a bus is a real nuisance.

Tonitrus

Good thing they're all in Brest-Litovsk.

jimmy olsen

Super interesting, especially since this is one of the most well studied insect there is. Just goes to show, we don't know a lot about them.

Decent length, so click here to read.
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2020/11/leaf-cutter-ants-have-strong-mineral-armor/

A new study shows that one Central American leaf-cutter ant species has natural armor that covers its exoskeleton. This shield-like coating is made of calcite with high levels of magnesium, a type found only in one other biological structure: sea urchin teeth, which can grind limestone.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on March 14, 2021, 04:38:11 AM
Bee evacuation! https://twitter.com/nori_reed/status/1370582209921482754

I know making smoke calms bees, but I still find it hard to understand how someone can be so free from worry that they scoop up wild bees with their bare hands!

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

They smoked the ceremonial pipe before she moved them :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

I briefly looked at the spiders escaping the Australian floods but then had to quickly look away before I became a quivering mess.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on March 23, 2021, 07:27:30 AM
I briefly looked at the spiders escaping the Australian floods but then had to quickly look away before I became a quivering mess.

I would be too - those poor spiders!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Tamas

How do you manage with all the big-ass spiders in this country? :P

Malthus

Quote from: Tamas on March 23, 2021, 11:33:48 AM

The thought of spiders with big asses is indeed particularly horrifying.  :P

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on March 23, 2021, 11:33:48 AM

Knock on endless wood but so far I've not dealt with many. Only ones I recall creeping in legs first under my front door, well I was drunk at the time and smashed it with an empty wine bottle and dealt with it when I woke up the next day. -_-