Is sexual life of historical figures relevant and, if so, when?

Started by Martinus, April 08, 2013, 05:28:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Camerus

When it's useful in the battle for historiography / culture wars of today - which is, after all, when all historical events are useful.   :P

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on April 08, 2013, 05:28:15 AM
This seems to be the most common attitude to revelations of this nature, even on Languish, yet I cannot help to think that there is a bit of double standard there, as we happily let historians discuss love life of heterosexual historical figures, or at least it seems so to me.

Well it is not my attitude.  I have no problem at all with this discussion.  I just get annoyed when it is conjured up as common knowledge when there is little to no evidence at all to support it...which is not a double standard since I would get just as a annoyed if a heterosexual relationship was conjured out of whole cloth for shits and giggles as well.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Gays love projecting gay shit on historical figures.  It makes them feel relevant.  LINCOLN WAS A BIG FAG

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on April 08, 2013, 06:30:24 AM
Benjamin Franklin and his whores are discussed.

Heh.  Speaking of taking scant evidence and running with it.

Unless you are talking about his life as a young man in London but how often is that discussed?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Brain

Since homosexuals have no high status contemporary role models they desperately mine history and claim to have struck gay on the flimsiest of evidence.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Again, I think there is a double standard there. Sure, sexual escapades of heterosexual historical figures are rarely part of History 101, but they are a subject of countless popular historical articles, books and historical novels, often also with flimsy or scant evidence (for example, it is assumed fairly often that, if two opposite sex people worked closely, they must have shared romantic feelings). However, if the same kind of approach is taken to suggest homosexual relationship, people dismiss it as irrelevant or undocumented.

For example, numerous people speculated about the relationship of FDR and Margaret Suckley (which does not meet any of the criteria you guys mentioned - it neither affected policy, nor is well documented, nor is a subject of public knowledge) and I don't remember anyone opposing such speculations.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on April 08, 2013, 11:17:22 AM
Again, I think there is a double standard there. Sure, sexual escapades of heterosexual historical figures are rarely part of History 101, but they are a subject of countless popular historical articles, books and historical novels, often also with flimsy or scant evidence (for example, it is assumed fairly often that, if two opposite sex people worked closely, they must have shared romantic feelings). However, if the same kind of approach is taken to suggest homosexual relationship, people dismiss it as irrelevant or undocumented.

Well I think those things are crap as well.  But we never really discuss those.

QuoteFor example, numerous people speculated about the relationship of FDR and Margaret Suckley (which does not meet any of the criteria you guys mentioned - it neither affected policy, nor is well documented, nor is a subject of public knowledge) and I don't remember anyone opposing such speculations.

His affair, his documented one, was with Lucy Mercer and it fulfills all the qualifiers.  And in any history of FDR I have ever seen with any sort of credibility that is the only one mentioned.  The rest is just scandal mongering and I take it no more seriously than what you are talking about.  I am not really sure what you want society to do for you here.  Plenty of scandal mongering goes on with gay relationships, heck they even get included in historical films and mini-series as absolute facts despite a lack of evidence.  What do you want?  Fifty foot billboards?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 08, 2013, 06:13:26 AM
I'm generally of the opinion that even the dead deserve some privacy. Historians "outing" public figures on very limited evidence aren't much different than tabloid journalists.
That's normally because tabloid journalists do the outing. Historians are engaging in academic research and normally presenting their paper, with lots of hemming and hawing. That then gets interpreted by the media.

I don't think the dead need privacy. I don't generally find biography interesting, but that's personal taste. Their sex lives shouldn't be left behind a veil for 'decency's sake'.

QuoteThat's because sexuality on its own as no historical significance. I couldn't give two shits if alexander was gay or straight. Changes nothing. Henry being a horney sob changed history. his "straightness" matters. And historically that's where sexuality matters, where it's a reason for change or significant impact. And that's usually straight sexuality. Until relatively recently homosexuality wasn't even really persecuted. Now, if you want to talk about 20th and 21st century historical figures who were gay and persecuted for it, then that's appropriate. Going back and saying some Greek/roman/medival historical figure was gay? Meh. Besides, the further into antiquity you go the less defined sexuality is in the modern sense. It just seems weird to me.
But that's your interest in history showing. Sexuality is only relevant if it shapes the actions of great men and the course of history. My perspective is that it is intrinsically interesting. This isn't an argument that sexuality's dull, but that social history doesn't matter. It's the same sort of argument that the position of women, or cultural history, or what people ate didn't matter because it didn't 'affect' the course of history like great men (if you're a liberal) or economic forces (if you're a Marxist). It's nonsense.

QuoteThose are mostly cases where romantic relationships affected policy.  In contrast, Mao's and Castro's fucking around doesn't come up much because it didn't change anything.
Mao's do, if you read any biography of him. Stalin's do. It should if you're trying to write about the 'man'. It would be bizarre to try and write a biography of a man without sexuality - in my view there's no good reason to do so, as long as you make clear the limits of your sources. I would expect, for example, any biography of the recent Popes to discuss their sexuality.

The idea reminds me of that Byron attack on Wordsworth in the prologue of Don Juan. The great nature poem seems very unnatural because of the lack of sex, there's something sterile and inward about it.

QuoteI just get annoyed when it is conjured up as common knowledge when there is little to no evidence at all to support it...which is not a double standard since I would get just as a annoyed if a heterosexual relationship was conjured out of whole cloth for shits and giggles as well.
Any examples? There is always evidence, but rarely an alleged relationship.
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 08, 2013, 12:43:27 PM
I don't think the dead need privacy.

You don't seem to think the living need it all that much either.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 08, 2013, 07:10:01 AM
Gays love projecting gay shit on historical figures.  It makes them feel relevant.  LINCOLN WAS A BIG FAG

Bingo.  They feel a need to justify themselves.  They search through history for someone to "claim".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Razgovory on April 08, 2013, 03:06:00 PM

Bingo.  They feel a need to justify themselves.  They search through history for someone to "claim".

I'd rather take the stance that historical figures being gay is not necessary for justification.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on April 08, 2013, 03:06:00 PM

I'll let them have Tiberius.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney