Korea Thread: Liberal Moon Jae In Elected

Started by jimmy olsen, March 25, 2013, 09:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

QuoteDonald J. Trump‏ Verified account
@realDonaldTrump 2h

North Korea disrespected the wishes of China & its highly respected President when it launched, though unsuccessfully, a missile today. Bad!

Fucking moron.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

"Hey, South Korea, you got a really nice country here.  Shame if, I dunno, something should happen to it."

cnbc.com
Trump tough on South Korea: Threatens to terminate free trade deal, wants payment for THAAD missile defense system

President Donald Trump said that he will either renegotiate or terminate a "horrible" trade deal with South Korea, Reuters reported late Thursday.

The president also said he wants South Korea to pay for the $1 billion THAAD missile defense system, Reuters said.

Responses to Trump's comments soon arose, with an official from South Korea's automakers association telling Reuters that the group is now concerned about "the uncertainty" of the free trade agreement.

Shares in Hyundai Motor fell as much as 2.4 percent following Trump's comments. South Korea's won turned weaker on the comments.

Khoon Goh, head of Asia research at ANZ, told CNBC such a reaction is expected given " massive amounts of foreign inflows" into Asia, particularly Korea and Taiwan, over the last month "as trade tensions between the U.S. and China have eased off."

"So investors are thinking that perhaps the worst on trade tensions with Asia is not going to happen," he said. "And all of a sudden, this has come from a bit of a left field, so I think what we're going to see now is markets perhaps need to start pricing a little bit more potential of trade tensions between the U.S. and Korea."

Still, he added that Trump's comments were likely "just a negotiating tactic."

An official from South Korea's Finance Ministry said that the U.S. administration had not yet requested anything on the free trade agreement.

And on the issue of THAAD payment, a foreign policy advisor to South Korea's presidential front-runner, Moon Jae-in, said that Seoul shelling out for the missile defense system is an "impossible option," according to Reuters.

The South Korean Defense Ministry said that there was no change to its position that the U.S. would bear the cost of THAAD deployment, Yonhap news agency reported. Earlier this week, Yonhap said the U.S. military had begun transferring parts of THAAD into a planned deployment site in South Korea.

The system, the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense, is designed to protect South Korea and Japan from missile attack, and it could be operational as soon as summer 2017. North Korea and its unpredictable leader Kim Jong Un possess nuclear weapons and make a habit of regularly threatening neighbors.

THAAD uses radar to track when a ballistic missile is launched and then intercepts and destroys the missile before it descends onto its target.

Now, Trump's hard stance comes as tensions are on the rise in the Korean Peninsula as U.S. rhetoric takes a sharper tone against the North.

In fact, Trump also told Reuters on Thursday that "there is a chance that we could end up having a major, major conflict with North Korea. Absolutely." Still, the president had emphasized to the news outlet that he would prefer a peaceful resolution to the situation in the region.

Some have theorized that THAAD may be an effective way to pressure China to help deescalate tensions with North Korea.

"We planted this high-end air defense system in South Korea that has obvious implications for the Chinese because the radar fans go all the way through Manchuria," former CIA Director Michael Hayden said this month, explaining that such a move will force Beijing to address the "bad toothache" of Pyongyang, according to Yonhap.

I sincerely believes he thinks he's some sort of mobster.  He thinks he's a gangster, but he's really a moron.  Like Vinny from My Blue Heaven.

Eddie Teach

I went to school in Florida. We were tested on placing countries and capitals on a map about four times. Twice in geography and twice in world history(didn't learn much actual history in that class).
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on April 29, 2017, 06:50:05 PM
Did anyone else here see this insane N.Korean live firing 'exercise' ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-asia-39743574/north-korea-in-display-of-military-might

Now imagine all that hitting Seoul and its suburbs for 72 straight hours.

Nice to see the boys have transitioned to their spring apparel, though.  Kepis are so in this year.

Berkut

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-asia-39743574/north-korea-in-display-of-military-might

I look at that and think "Man, those things would not last 30 minutes in an actual shooting war..."
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

mongers

Quote from: Berkut on April 29, 2017, 07:28:38 PM

I look at that and think "Man, those things would not last 30 minutes in an actual shooting war..."

Well it's jolly good of them to line those guns up all in neat lines for the US and S.Koreans.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

dps

Quote from: Berkut on April 29, 2017, 07:28:38 PM

Yeah, I can't imagine them lasting to pound Seoul for 72 minutes, much less 72 hours.  They might be lucky to last 72 seconds.

CountDeMoney

You guys have a substantially inflated sense of our capabilities at this time on the Korean peninsula.

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 29, 2017, 09:59:54 PM
You guys have a substantially inflated sense of our capabilities at this time on the Korean peninsula.

The only way we don't have the capability to take out a bunch of targets that size lined up out in the open like that is if we don't have any warplanes at all in South Korea.  And I'm reasonably sure that the 7th Air Force does, in fact, have some warplanes.

Berkut

Well, to be fair I am certain that come to war the Norks won't line them all up. They have ridiculously complex artillery bunkers setup.

I am not sure how effective they will be though, other than as a way to kill a lot of civilians.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on April 29, 2017, 10:12:49 PM
The only way we don't have the capability to take out a bunch of targets that size lined up out in the open like that is if we don't have any warplanes at all in South Korea.  And I'm reasonably sure that the 7th Air Force does, in fact, have some warplanes.

Stop playing so many fucking video games.