News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Torment: Tides of Numenara

Started by Syt, March 06, 2013, 10:46:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on March 09, 2013, 08:09:10 PM
I don't understand why people don't realize that these ventures are gambles, and that investors know that investing in kickstarter projects guarantees nothing - just like spending $60 on crap like The Witcher 2 or Dragon Age games guarantees nothing. 

I don't see how that's true. After all, if you wait until a game has actually come out - you can usually find someone you know who can vouch for whether or not the game is worth playing. Unless we're looking at some particular view of "guarantees nothing".

Additionally, I highly doubt that most people kicking in money to kickstarters saying, I'll be totally fine if I kick in money and I get no product at all.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on March 12, 2013, 07:36:09 AM
Quote from: grumbler on March 09, 2013, 08:09:10 PM
I don't understand why people don't realize that these ventures are gambles, and that investors know that investing in kickstarter projects guarantees nothing - just like spending $60 on crap like The Witcher 2 or Dragon Age games guarantees nothing. 

I don't see how that's true. After all, if you wait until a game has actually come out - you can usually find someone you know who can vouch for whether or not the game is worth playing. Unless we're looking at some particular view of "guarantees nothing".

Additionally, I highly doubt that most people kicking in money to kickstarters saying, I'll be totally fine if I kick in money and I get no product at all.

Exactly. I just didn't want to respond since I don't respond to grumbler's posts since it is usually useless.

Razgovory

I just figured it was a typo of some kind.  If I toss 50 bucks towards a kick starter project there is a good chance It'll never get off the ground.  If I pay 50 bucks for Dragon age 2 then I will get that that game.  I may not like the game, but I'll still get it.

While I think it's insane, I kinda like kick starter.  I do realize that there is a strong chance that I'm wasting money.  Lots of things can derail a PC game.  Management problems, running out of money, technical difficulties etc.  This happens all the time.  Most of the time you never even hear about it.  I don't know what percentage of PC games only get half-made but I bet it's at least 30-40%.  And even if they make the game it might not be any good.  I gave money to one kickstarter project and may again on this one, probably because I'm insane but also because I see it as beneficial to PC gaming as a whole.  If publishers see there is a genuine interest in a type of PC game, perhaps more of that kind will be made.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on March 12, 2013, 02:42:05 PM
I gave money to one kickstarter project and may again on this one, probably because I'm insane but also because I see it as beneficial to PC gaming as a whole.  If publishers see there is a genuine interest in a type of PC game, perhaps more of that kind will be made.

This is what it is about to me.  I don't see these sorts of games still being made and I hope kickstarter success brings in some publishers eventually.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on March 12, 2013, 07:36:09 AM

See, this is the problem when you cut out all the rest of a post and just focus on a sentence; you miss the point.  I specifically allowed that, if you wait on a game purchase, you will get more "bang for the buck" than if you chance a pre-order (from an established company or KS) but lose out on being part of the community of pre-order types and early adopters.  You aren't countering the point of my post with your post, as you think, but rather you are reinforcing it.

QuoteAdditionally, I highly doubt that most people kicking in money to kickstarters saying, I'll be totally fine if I kick in money and I get no product at all.
Additionally, I agree with your strawman argument, but, then, everyone else does, as well.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Sorry, mart, forgot we weren't supposed to engage.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on March 12, 2013, 06:43:53 PM
Sorry, mart, forgot we weren't supposed to engage.

Concession noted and accepted.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Razgovory

I'm totally fine if I get no product.  I'm not seriously expecting any.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Scipio

I like Kickstarter, because for $25 I get the moral superiority of being a venture capitalist in this prosperity-gospel bullshit wonderland we call America.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Syt

If they reach $3.5M they'll add Chris Avellone to the team. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on March 22, 2013, 06:20:05 AM
If they reach $3.5M they'll add Chris Avellone to the team. :)

Man this is becoming a crazy huge writing team.  But it looks like he will be mainly adding another joinable NPC.

This might also mean the writing phase for Project: Eternity might be coming to a close.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on March 22, 2013, 07:27:20 AMMan this is becoming a crazy huge writing team.

Yeah, it's kinda scary - I hope someone keeps proper oversight and makes all their stuff mesh together well.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on March 22, 2013, 07:46:16 AM
Yeah, it's kinda scary - I hope someone keeps proper oversight and makes all their stuff mesh together well.

Actually it looks like Avellone's other job is to help Colin do just that.