News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Torment: Tides of Numenara

Started by Syt, March 06, 2013, 10:46:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera

Touted as spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment. Funding target 900,000. Raised within a day: almost 1.5 Million.

I consider going for the $45 bracket, because it gives you a free copy of Wastelands 2 (which I didn't contribute to).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

That is....AWESOME.

God bless Brian Fargo.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Queequeg

I just came.  Like, buckets.  My pants are ruined.  I loved these pants.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Oh God why was I wearing these pants.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Martinus

I wonder how long till these kickstarter game projects run into difficulties and delays and people stop supporting them?

Because right now it seems like wishful thinking - I don't recall a single game completed according to that model, right?

Pedrito

Quote from: Martinus on March 07, 2013, 03:18:55 AM
I wonder how long till these kickstarter game projects run into difficulties and delays and people stop supporting them?

Because right now it seems like wishful thinking - I don't recall a single game completed according to that model, right?
http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,7881.msg537975.html#msg537975

And btw, I'm in the same situation as Queequeg's.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Josquius

This does sound interesting.

Mart: There've been a fair few which have worked out. There was one high profile failure a few months ago I'm certain, can't remember its name though.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

I don't get the wishful thinking part...what difference does it make if these guys get the money from KS or a publisher?  It is not like they have never designed and made a good game before.  And I believe many of them have had difficulties and delays.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Pedrito on March 07, 2013, 05:43:06 AM

http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,7881.msg537975.html#msg537975

And btw, I'm in the same situation as Queequeg's.

L.

Despite my post being highlighted, I think I have to agree with Marti insofar as I'm waiting for one of these legacy games that had a bunch of excitement behind it to come out.

FTL might have done well but that's just the case of an indie company making it big - not and legacy series/brand revived.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on March 07, 2013, 08:48:14 AM
Despite my post being highlighted, I think I have to agree with Marti insofar as I'm waiting for one of these legacy games that had a bunch of excitement behind it to come out.

Well Wasteland 2 and Double Fine Adventure should be out here in the next year or so.  But even if one or both are a huge success or huge flop why would that necessarily indicate anything about the other projects?  They are being run by different people at different studios.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on March 07, 2013, 09:10:57 AM
Quote from: garbon on March 07, 2013, 08:48:14 AM

Well Wasteland 2 and Double Fine Adventure should be out here in the next year or so.  But even if one or both are a huge success or huge flop why would that necessarily indicate anything about the other projects?  They are being run by different people at different studios.

Because it is a fledgling model and if there are serious flops - people won't have confidence in it? :huh:

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on March 07, 2013, 09:17:21 AM
Because it is a fledgling model and if there are serious flops - people won't have confidence in it? :huh:

Because people will say 'but this is legendary game designer blah blah, you know he will do an amazing job not like that hack job blah blah!'  I guess if ALL of them are flops then it might take down the whole idea but I find that pretty statistically unlikely.  The teams with the big bucks have pretty solid track records.

garbon

Razgovory

Even I'm dumb enough to give to this!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017