News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you playing? (Redux)

Started by vinraith, March 13, 2009, 02:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Jesus, stop overthinking. It's just a game.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tonitrus

During Steam's black friday sales (besides Endless Legend) I also got the complete set of the new X-Com.

I played a little bit of vanilla (about 30 minutes), and then installed the Long War mod.

I am in X-Com love again.  :wub:

Easily a worthy successor to the classic.

Favorite tactical map so far, is a crash landing in a dense urban city one.  The place is like Stalingrad.

celedhring

Just finished Divinity: Original Sin. Great turn-based old school RPG. Also really long, milked around 100 hours from it.

The only thing stopping me from considering it one of the best RPGs of the generation is the fact that the story and characters are just middling.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 08, 2014, 03:30:31 AM
During Steam's black friday sales (besides Endless Legend) I also got the complete set of the new X-Com.

I played a little bit of vanilla (about 30 minutes), and then installed the Long War mod.

I am in X-Com love again.  :wub:

Easily a worthy successor to the classic.

Favorite tactical map so far, is a crash landing in a dense urban city one.  The place is like Stalingrad.

Man, it started out deceptively easy-ish.  I was using all my old X-Com skills and kicking alien ass...and then it just started going full retard-stupid hard.  :lol:

6 guys (cause getting that so-called "12" in the LW mod don't seem easy) vs. a dozen Chrysalids?  Sure, no prob.  Oh and those exalt missions?  "This is last of their reinforcements"...when they already have 20-ish guys and are overrunning my squad from all sides and above. 

And all before I could even manage to research laser weapons (not that I could build any, as I always had near $0...money-making ain't like it used to be from classic X-Com).

Duque de Bragança

Long War mod is the instance where even the easy mode is challenging.

You need Aerospace tech to unlock the foundry project Super Skyranger for the 12 soldier team but it only works for assaults like base attacks or Exalt base raids.
That Crash landing in the city map appeared in Enemy Within and is even more challenging in Long War with the random different starting points (sometimes bugged though when you bring extra soldiers over the original 6).

Tamas

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

If you come across Horizon, a 4X Space game, don't bother unless you get it in one of those bundles like I did.

Boring. Expand like mad, bump into the AI players, Build a fleet, hit the turn button repeatedly and then throw the kitchen sink at the AI and hope your sink is heavier than it's sink.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Norgy

I've tried "The Forest".

It seems quite fun, but every bloody time I get a shelter and a fire going, I get overrun by weird cannibals.
Need to change my strategy to: Weapons.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Norgy

But that's unpossible!

Mmmm... Norgyyy....

Syt

I've given Wrestling Spirit 3 another try. It's from the same maker as Total Extreme Wrestling (see my WCW AAR), Bowl Bound Football, or World of MMA.

There's probably no better wrestling match sim than WreSpi3 (if you don't mind that it's all text based).

It comes with a few problems, though.

Starting as a rookie is painful. You will lose. A lot. In my current career I'm 4-16 after 5 months, and that's with my knowing pretty much what I'm doing at this point. Which is realistic, I suppose, but it makes progress painfully slow (a loss nets you 1/4 of the XP as a win does, and improving your skills and attributes is expensive). (You can start as an established character which softens the start a bit, and it also gives you access to more storylines.)

The game world is "invisible". Contracts and stuff are simulated, but matches and title reigns are not. They're generated on the fly if necessary for a storyline you're in. So that's not much immersion.

The game is heavily reliant on an RNG, and a large part of the game is trying to stack the odds in your favor during matches. Still, you can go on a rampage and dominate for two dozen moves, and then your opponent gets a few moves in and suddenly you lose the match because RNG-sus hates you.

Secondly, there's a lack of a modding scene. Where the TEW series supplies a slew of mods for between 1985 and today, WreSpi3 comes up pretty much empty, except for a 1985 mod. You can convert data from TEW to WreSpi, but it will assign generic move sets to the workers, and it requires a fair amount of data cleaning afterwards. There's not enough of a fan base to carry the effort it would require. So you're pretty much stuck with their fantasy universe (which has evolved for about 10 years by this point).

I've looked into setting up a Languish league, but creating one wrestler, if you want to do more than assign generic moves and attributes, can easily take an hour or more, if you want to set up signature moves, finishers and the like.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Norgy

I'd be up for some MP co-op with either The Forest or 7 Days To Die. (It usually takes ten minutes for me to die).

Josquius

I've just got GTA5 for my PS3.
It has been installing for half an hour now :bleeding:
██████
██████
██████