News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you playing? (Redux)

Started by vinraith, March 13, 2009, 02:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Currently playing Anno 1800 again. It is a city builder with a complex economy. You settle on islands in Europe, Caribbean, Arctic or East Africa and build houses and Industries. The game is mainly about optimization of your islands. The AI opponents are just there for some flavor (they give you quests etc)

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on June 24, 2021, 04:52:11 AM
Currently playing Anno 1800 again. It is a city builder with a complex economy. You settle on islands in Europe, Caribbean, Arctic or East Africa and build houses and Industries. The game is mainly about optimization of your islands. The AI opponents are just there for some flavor (they give you quests etc)

I play it once in a while. I usually play without opponents as a pure builder game, and it's quite chill.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

The weaker opponents just add some flavor by having more quests and trading opportunities. It's not like you run out of islands to develop. I never play with the harder opponents, at best with the medium ones.

Grey Fox

I think it's enjoyable until Aristocrats. Then, it becomes a chore.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Zanza

Aristocrats must be from one of the earlier Anno games (maybe 1602, 1404 or 1701?). Anno 1800 has farmers, workers, artisans, engineers and investors on the main islands (and researchers and tourists if you have the DLCs).

Grey Fox

Investors! Can never remember their name.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Greedfall.

It's a RPG set in a fantasy world.  Except this time, it's set in the mid 1600s, magic&black gunpowder  :wub: .  The concept is very exciting.  The combat mechanics tend to be repetitive and the game has uneven difficulty, with enemies not clearly marked as to how difficult they might be for your current level.  This is the studios first game, and it's a good entry.  Hopefully, there'll be some more games in this universe and they'll rework the mechanics.

I got it for 20$, imho well worth its price.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

Going to put my FF14 ramblings in here from now on. :P

The Hildibrand Manderville side quests are not integral to anything, give no XP and only reward with a few emotes and similar. But they still come highly recommended. And ... yeah, it's a ride. :lol:

- the gentleman inspector is presumed dead, and he has taken leadership of a group of zombies, but he didn't die and actually just lost his memory (see below as to how it's fixed)
- he stumbles through an investigation with the help of his enthusiastic catgirl assistant with us and otehrs doing the actual work
- he does bring an NPC's story (we had previous side quests trying to cure his baldness) to a happy end
- in the second "episode" he runs into an actually competent competitor (inspired by Sherlock Holmes) and there's an ongoing arc about a mysterious duelist, and ... yeah, it's weird and silly and I love it. :D

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

:D

A couple of friends of mine were obsessed with FF14.

Myself, I've been fooling around with Elite Dangerous. Nothing too serious, just flying around doing courier missions and cargo deliveries, admiring the sights. I used to play the old Elites a lot when I was a kid.

Syt

I've become a lot more relaxed about doing group content, but yesterday a group triggered my imposter syndrome. I was using my other current class to clear some optional dungeons (which is an efficient way to level that class, too). I was fairly rusty on playing that class, though, and which skill rotation I should use and which one attack gives bonus damage from which angle. On top of that I died twice to obvious mechanics which was embarrassing.

At the end one player said, "Cool, this was a super smooth run." Other player: "Yeah, easily best random group I played with."

My thought: thanks for carrying me, guys, I had no idea what I was doing half the time. :blush:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Jacob

Thing is, if you're not a dick about it, making a few mistakes when you can then just carry on without drama is still pretty good.

crazy canuck

Picked up For the King on sale over the weekend.  It is fun mindless game you can get lost in.  It was great for a rainy weekend.

11B4V

SPI's Highway to the Reich.

It has Panzers,  Paratroopers and XXX Corps......
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

grumbler

Quote from: 11B4V on October 18, 2021, 08:37:07 PM

And those goddamn Fallschirmjagers who arrive just in the right time and place to fuck up your whole plan... or their whole plan, depending on the side you are playing.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

11B4V

Quote from: grumbler on October 18, 2021, 09:41:10 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on October 18, 2021, 08:37:07 PM

And those goddamn Fallschirmjagers who arrive just in the right time and place to fuck up your whole plan... or their whole plan, depending on the side you are playing.

:lol: yes quite.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".