News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you playing? (Redux)

Started by vinraith, March 13, 2009, 02:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Thanks for taking a look. Does it just replicate the world, or does it also add the quests from TES3 (which I assume would be quite hard as the game systems are quite different)?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

frunk

2016 Master of Orion is basically MoO 2 reloaded, with some things lost and a tiny bit added.  I don't regret paying the $10 as it definitely hits some nice nostalgia buttons, but it doesn't bring anything new to the genre to make it particularly interesting.   

There are some interesting mods I plan to check out though.

Syt

Quote from: frunk on June 28, 2020, 11:00:49 AM
2016 Master of Orion is basically MoO 2 reloaded, with some things lost and a tiny bit added.  I don't regret paying the $10 as it definitely hits some nice nostalgia buttons, but it doesn't bring anything new to the genre to make it particularly interesting.   

A good description for many indie space 4X projects that just keep remaking variants of MoO2.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Habbaku

Project Winter: https://store.steampowered.com/app/774861/Project_Winter/

Played a few rounds with some friends. Definitely a learning curve for the survivors as the tutorial isn't the greatest, but there's significant replay value thanks to the randomized maps, items, etc., nevermind the shenanigans that the in-game proximity voice-communication allows.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on June 28, 2020, 09:59:43 AM
Thanks for taking a look. Does it just replicate the world, or does it also add the quests from TES3 (which I assume would be quite hard as the game systems are quite different)?

It has all the quests, dialogue, etc from TES 3.  Most of the characters are recognizable in spite of the change in game systems.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

That's good to know, I may have to give it a look. Though I also want to check the latest release of Morrowind Rebirth which has gone from 4.5 to 5.1 since I last played. I loved that it was vanilla friendly and added a fair amount of detail to the world, including some fun dungeons.

A few years ago I played The Room and have a fan of those games since. The puzzle box designs (though they became room and house sized in the sequels) are nice ways to relax. In general the puzzles aren't too hard and often depend on finding the next switch/button/mechanism. However, the (originally touch) controls make it quite satisfying to manipulate the objects.

I've picked up the two House of Da Vinci games on Steam. Much in the same vein as The Room, only with a more renaissance theme, and I enjoy them to chill after work. :)
—Stephen Jay Gould

Caliga

One of the things I bought during the Steam Summer Sale and just started playing last night is Disco Elysium.  Wow, what a weird game. :wacko:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

Playing John Tiller's Campaign Corinth's Campaign as Union. I went for the option to take a pre-emptive attack on the Confederates at Ripley before they can amass their forces instead of preparing the defense of Corinth.

Currently struggling to shepherd my army towards Ripley. Armstrong's cavalry gave a good showing, fighting to the last, but it's created a bit of a jam. Not much open terrain. Also, I have tons of artillery, and not mnay great spots to deploy them, what with woods and hills everywhere.

—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

I wish all the effort and research put into Tiller games would go into an even slightly more modern engine.

Such 1990s micromanagement hell these games are. I regularly keep trying them (Serbia '14 the latest) but I just can't keep up with moving all those bloody units for too long.

Syt

It depends. In Panzer Campaigns games I definitely prefer the smaller scenarios. The above is still quite manageable. I watched a recent tutorial video for the Waterloo game, and apparently there's a way to move an entire formation, not just a stack (at least along roads) with the help of the ALT key somehow, but I would have to look up the details for it again, and it might have been added by the recent update for Waterloo.

I think most development on the game is being done by Wargame Studies Group, anyways.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on July 17, 2020, 06:25:12 AM
It depends. In Panzer Campaigns games I definitely prefer the smaller scenarios. The above is still quite manageable. I watched a recent tutorial video for the Waterloo game, and apparently there's a way to move an entire formation, not just a stack (at least along roads) with the help of the ALT key somehow, but I would have to look up the details for it again, and it might have been added by the recent update for Waterloo.

I think most development on the game is being done by Wargame Studies Group, anyways.

IIRC the Alt-thing is also in Serbia '14 but I have found very next to useless.

I do really want to like these game though.

Syt

The worst is how skirmishers are handled in the Napoleonic games, detaching them as separate units. This quickly becomes a huge clusterfuck. The ACW games handle that better, with "skirmishers deployed" being a separate formation that gives recon bonus and some protection at the cost of movement speed. They're automatically recalled when you move into enemy ZOC or melee.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Scenario about half over. The Union forces are stronger, but can't quite exploit their strength. I'm slowly pushing the Rebels back with gunfire. There's few melees, because I try to conserve my strength in case there's Confederate reinforcements coming from the South.

It's nasty clusterfuck, but things should be smoother once we've secured the river crossings (red arrows). I wish I had disabled the penalty for mixing formations from different Brigades/Divisions. :D

I've sent a detachment North to bind Rebel troops there or pursue them if they head South.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Btw, I appreciate them updating the zoom in graphics with the little soldiers and prettier maps. However, it becomes an indecipherable mess, IMHO:

Same area in 2D:

—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

I had a lot of fun with Battles of Napoleon way back when. What's a good modern similar game?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.