Californians brace for nights of freezing temps

Started by garbon, January 12, 2013, 11:51:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://news.yahoo.com/californians-brace-nights-freezing-temps-092646795.html

QuoteCalifornians are bundling up with sweaters and gloves and stocking up on firewood as they brace for several nights of very unseasonable freezing temperatures.

The National Weather Service is forecasting morning frost on San Diego beaches. Big Sur, on the central coast, prepared for daytime highs almost 20 degrees below Boston's. Even the snowbird haven of Palm Springs faced the possibility of freezing temperatures at night.

In addition, San Diego zookeepers turned up the heat for chimpanzees, tourists covered their hands on Hollywood walking tours, and some farmers broke out wind machines and took other steps to protect crops from freezing.

Freeze warnings were in effect in San Diego County valleys and deserts Saturday morning with lows in the 20s and 30s, the weather service said.

In Sonoma County, homeless shelters started handing out extra warm clothes on Friday to protect people from freezing overnight temperatures.

Morning temps fell into the 20s and 30s in many areas, and much lower in the mountains. A low of 12 degrees was recorded in the Big Bear mountain resort east of Los Angeles.

Some customers drove more than an hour to buy firewood.

"It's crazy busy here," said Renea Teasdale, office manager at The Woodshed in Orange, south of Los Angeles.

Still, it was business as usual as much of the state contended with temperatures in the high 40s and low 50s.

"It's still sunny Southern California, and I'm going to work on my legs all year long," said Linda Zweig, a spokeswoman for the Del Mar Fairgrounds, which is hosting a 5-kilometer run north of San Diego on Sunday. The lifelong San Diego-area resident is prone to wearing two sweatshirts when the temperature drops but refuses to give up on shorts.

In the San Joaquin Valley, the heart of California's citrus production, growers prepared for another round of freezing temperatures late Friday after seeing little crop damage Thursday night.

They run wind machines and water to protect their fruit, which can raise the temperature in a grove by up to 4 degrees, said Paul Story, director of grower service at California Citrus Mutual. Existing moisture, sporadic rain and cloud cover can also help keep in heat.

Snow shut a 40-mile stretch of a major highway north of Los Angeles on Thursday afternoon, forcing hundreds of truckers to spend the cold night in their rigs and severing a key link between the Central Valley and Los Angeles.

The California Highway Patrol reopened the Grapevine segment of Interstate 5 some 17 hours later.

Pretty crazy. Palm Springs with temps 15-20 degrees lower than the northeast.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

QuoteSan Diego zookeepers turned up the heat for chimpanzees,

I bet.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

The cold isn't that bad, it's all the precipitation that's been coming with it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: PDH on January 12, 2013, 03:51:43 PM
It was -10f when I woke up this morning.

I didn't know Fahrenheit went negative.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

PDH

Quote from: mongers on January 12, 2013, 04:35:54 PM
Quote from: PDH on January 12, 2013, 03:51:43 PM
It was -10f when I woke up this morning.

I didn't know Fahrenheit went negative.  :bowler:

Here it sometimes gets down to -40f in Jan or Feb.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

CountDeMoney

What do you do for your car battery, PDH?  Do you have a heating element for it?

katmai

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 12, 2013, 07:13:47 PM
What do you do for your car battery, PDH?  Do you have a heating element for it?

Some type of heating block for battery and oil pan area :yes:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

HVC

Plus 10 Celsius here. 50 some thing ferignheit  I think. Way too not for
January. I blame Hans.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Quote from: HVC on January 12, 2013, 07:52:56 PM
Plus 10 Celsius here. 50 some thing ferignheit  I think. Way too not for
January. I blame Hans.

:hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tonitrus

I was just looking at the weather in California via Google Maps, and noticed they were showing a lot of the temps in the Central Valley and LA in Celsius (while much of the rest of Cali was in Fahrenheit).

Is there some kind of metric insurgency going on in California?  :mad:

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 12, 2013, 08:15:18 PM
ABOMINATION

Clearly google is doing something wonky. Yes, LA and Bakersfield are havens for metric thinkers.