Californians brace for nights of freezing temps

Started by garbon, January 12, 2013, 11:51:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 12, 2013, 07:13:47 PM
What do you do for your car battery, PDH?  Do you have a heating element for it?

You can buy a dipstick heater, that works - the old block heater is not a good deal as it can cause cracks due to uneven heating.  I just start my car ever few hours when it gets REALLY cold and keep a very light oil in there...and pray.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Tonitrus

I got by without a heater in Alaska (my workplace didn't have plug-ins anyway), though Anchorage isn't too bad...averaging about 15 or so during the winter.  During the dips , I remember it getting as low as -30 to -40 once...my car would struggle a bit, but still started.

Neil

They had better get this fixed in the next two weeks.  I can enjoy freezing temperatures here.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

PDH

Woke up this bracing Monday morning and it was -21f out.  Technically, that is colder than a cast iron toilet on the shadey side of a glacier.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

CountDeMoney

My windows are open already.

Stupid global warming.

Brazen

It's just freezing (0C, 32F) here, with a light sprinkling of snow, and we have severe weather warnings  :rolleyes: :bowler:

Grey Fox

Firewood, do Californians really have Wood Ovens?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Most Californian homes I'fe been in have had fireplaces.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PDH

No need to worry.  The sun came up and the temperature shot up to -17.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: Brazen on January 14, 2013, 08:47:17 AM
It's just freezing (0C, 32F) here, with a light sprinkling of snow, and we have severe weather warnings  :rolleyes: :bowler:

A balmy 6C here in central southern England.   :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Grey Fox

Quote from: garbon on January 14, 2013, 09:42:57 AM

Fireplaces aren't good for heating past, like 10 feet, in front of them.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

PDH

Most lowland California homes don't have to worry about prolonged below zero temps either.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 14, 2013, 09:52:28 AM
Quote from: garbon on January 14, 2013, 09:42:57 AM

Fireplaces aren't good for heating past, like 10 feet, in front of them.

Of course not but then what PDH said.  To what you said - no I'd say that most do not have wood ovens.  Which yeah I agree the mention of firewood struck me as odd too.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.