January 12, 1943 - RIP 2nd Hungarian Army

Started by Tamas, January 11, 2013, 10:47:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Yeah, but the funny thing is that it wasn't the states who had the sailors who wanted the war.  It was the states who wanted territory, glory and slaves.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

They were a willing part of the empire and thus were complicit.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

Quote from: derspiess on January 11, 2013, 07:40:48 PM
Complicit in liberating sailors from American tyranny?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

Quote from: Neil on January 11, 2013, 07:42:12 PM

Spoken like a true statist.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Wait Sailors?  I thought we went to war because the perdious Brits were getting their savage Indian allies to attack us.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Quote from: derspiess on January 11, 2013, 08:02:18 PM
I am a statist.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on January 11, 2013, 06:24:38 PM
That's the cool thing about being Canadian.  We just might be the only country in the world who has never, ever been on the side of the "bad guys" in a war.   :)

:hmm:

Any Canuckleheads in the Boer War?

derspiess

Quote from: Neil on January 11, 2013, 08:13:41 PM
I am a statist.

I meant that pejoratively :contract:

Neil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 11, 2013, 08:14:12 PM
That's the cool thing about being Canadian.  We just might be the only country in the world who has never, ever been on the side of the "bad guys" in a war.   :)

Yes, and the Empire was the good team there.

Neil

Quote from: derspiess on January 11, 2013, 08:42:42 PM
Quote from: Neil on January 11, 2013, 08:13:41 PM
I am a statist.
I meant that pejoratively :contract:
I'm not offended by your attempt to treat the truth as pejorative.

derspiess

Quote from: Neil on January 11, 2013, 08:47:39 PM

False.  The naked aggression on the part of the Brits was one of the few blights on an otherwise benevolent run of their empire.

Neil

Quote from: derspiess on January 11, 2013, 08:52:57 PM
Quote from: Neil on January 11, 2013, 08:47:39 PM

False.  The naked aggression on the part of the Brits was one of the few blights on an otherwise benevolent run of their empire.
Not true.  The Empire was fighting for human rights, every bit as much as the North was in the Civil War.

derspiess

Quote from: Neil on January 11, 2013, 09:19:50 PM
Not true.  The Empire was fighting for human rights, every bit as much as the North was in the Civil War.

You're not going to box me in with that comparison.

To quote Lincoln:
"My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that."

Admiral Yi

That's silly.  The fight was about diamonds.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on January 11, 2013, 09:26:09 PM

You're not going to box me in with that comparison.

To quote Lincoln:
"My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that."

Lincoln wasn't fighting about Slavery, but the South was.  Or perhaps you would prefer individualism and property rights.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017