News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Great Unified Comics Thread

Started by Syt, March 13, 2009, 10:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

katmai

So I wonder if Malthus thinks of his aunt's new endeavor.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Razgovory

Quote from: katmai on September 08, 2016, 12:37:19 AM

Juggling on a unicycle is impressive, but I can't help thinking she might be a bit old to join the circus.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: katmai on September 08, 2016, 12:37:19 AM

Interesting, I didn't know she was doing that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Larch

Have you guys read the story of the Indonesian Marvel artist that slipped messages from an Indonesian political/religious controversy in a number of the X Men he drew?

QuoteMarvel will discipline an X-Men artist after controversial references to protests in Indonesia
The protests are backed by hard-line Islamic groups

An Indonesian comic book artist has generated controversy over the inclusion of several references to a religious and political conflict within his home country. Ardian Syaf, currently the artist for X-Men: Gold, has been criticized for including the images, which have prompted Marvel to issue a statement saying that he would be disciplined and that upcoming reprints of the book will be altered.

The Brain

Disciplined? What exactly do you have to do to get fired by Marvel?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Larch

Quote from: The Brain on April 13, 2017, 04:17:35 AM
Disciplined? What exactly do you have to do to get fired by Marvel?

That was an early article, the expresion I've read more often about it is "career suicide", and the artist seems to think that'll be the case:

QuoteArdian Syaf On X-Men Gold Controversy: "My Career Is Over Now"

celedhring

He's been fired:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/39576705/marvel-fires-artist-ardian-syaf-over-religious-references-in-x-men-comic-book

The references he made are pretty bigoted, so it seems warranted.

jimmy olsen

Yeah, I saw that. You'd think he'd at least try to play it off as a coincidence, but he's just "Yup, I did it".

1 Karma Chameleon point

celedhring

If you're going to work in religious references into your contract work, you should be doing something more innocuous than "christians and jews are out to destroy us" drivel.

Syt

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/books/news/female-marvel-comics-editor-harassed-online-milkshake-selfie/

QuoteFemale Marvel Comics editor harassed online for milkshake selfie

Heather Antos, an editor for Marvel Comics, has been deluged with abuse online after posting an image of herself drinking milkshakes with six female Marvel employees, with a caption reading "It's the Marvel milkshake crew! #FabulousFlo" – the latter referencing the recent death of the legendary female Marvel publisher Flo Steinberg.

For the crime of consuming cold beverages while being female, Antos was then attacked across social media and via email and her Twitter direct messages by angry Marvel fans, who used the image as an opportunity to rant about "Social Justice Warriors", "fake geek girls" and feminism.

"Can we just get off of feminism and social justice and actually print stories," one person tweeted, to reiterate, in response to women drinking milkshakes. He was joined by replies that included "Looks like a bunch of SWJ's to me" and "How all these Tumblr SJW fake geek girls club are editors at Marvel?"

Another tweeted "I would totally bang the girl in front," which lead one to reply, "Better have her sign a consent form, she looks like the 'false rape charge' type."

Antos condemned the abuse the following day, writing that "the internet is an awful, horrible, and disgusting place." She added, "Woke up today to a slew of more garbage tweets and DMs. For being a woman. In comics. Who posted a selfie of her friends getting milkshakes."

She was quickly backed up by an abundance of supporters, however, many of whom posted their own milkshake-drinking selfies under the hashtag "#MakeMineMilkshake".

But the incident has once again ignited a firestorm of discussion about the prevalence of abusive responses to both gender and racial diversity in the comic book world, and the recent increase in female staffers.

Chelsea Cain, the writer behind the female superhero comic book Mockingbird, left Twitter in October 2016 following months of harassment, while Zainab Akhtar, a British-Muslim writer, closed her Eisner Award-winning comic book journalism site Comics & Cola last year after being deluged with racist, misogynistic abuse via email and social media.

It also follows an April scandal in which Marvel's VP of Sales David Gabriel appeared to blame character diversity for the company's recent sales decline. While Gabriel's stance was music to the ears of a minority of comic book fandom, others rallied, blaming the company's insistence on crossovers and stories that require the purchasing of multiple different books, and criticising Gabriel for seemingly using non-white characters as an easy scapegoat for the across-the-boards Marvel sales decline.

"During the discussion, retailers pointed out during the summit that the number of Marvel events, and the fact that they overlap, make it hard for fans to focus," reported io9 at the time. "Right now, for instance, there's Secret Empire, which will bleed over with Generations, which starts this summer. In the past two years alone, there have been at least 12 events and crossovers. :bleeding: Events, in particular, have become more of a chore than a reward."

Gabriel later retracted his comments.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sophie Scholl

If anyone likes DC Comics and is near an Ollie's, they acquired a massive allotment of DC graphic novels and have them up for sale.  Amazing discounts.  I nabbed $375 worth of books for about $70.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

BuddhaRhubarb

been spending too much time on this website, grabbing sceenies for my own art project that is top secret and kind of for stoners.

http://comicbookplus.com
:p