Main Menu

Great Unified Comics Thread

Started by Syt, March 13, 2009, 10:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Korea

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 13, 2009, 03:55:54 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 13, 2009, 03:51:58 PM
Finished up Exiles 1-4.  Very good.

Read the latest Deadpool. I like Deadpool.
Who doesn't like Deadpool?

I like Deadpool.
I want my mother fucking points!

Syt

Read #61 of The Walking Dead.

Seriously fucked up episode. :mellow:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Habbaku

Quote from: Scipio on May 20, 2009, 06:31:33 PM
Finally read Wanted.

Meh.

Yep.  Hack writer creates hack work.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: Syt on May 20, 2009, 01:40:30 PM
Read #61 of The Walking Dead.

Seriously fucked up episode. :mellow:

Kirkman is quite unafraid to push any and all buttons available to him, it seems.  I heartily approve of the purge of more characters, especially in such a clever manner.  It's not often that a book explores the effects that such catastrophes would have on a child's psychology.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jimmy olsen

Pretty sweet list, though I'd flip # 1 & 2 and move Ozymandias into the top 5. How the hell can he be #21?

http://uk.comics.ign.com/top-100-villains/index.html
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 26, 2009, 12:40:05 PM
Pretty sweet list, though I'd flip # 1 & 2 and move Ozymandias into the top 5. How the hell can he be #21?

Magneto is a better villain than the Joker.

As for Veidt, you can only move him up so far.  I'd put him ahead of of Bullseye, Kingpin, Mystique, Juggernaut and maybe Catwoman.  I just have a hard time seeing Catwoman as an iconic villain, since she's never been much of a 'bad guy'.  I mean, a cat-burglar is hard to put in the same class as guys who are trying to take over the world.  Apart from that, all of the villains above him are recurring icons.

Another thing that the list makes me think of is how Batman's Rogues Gallery is better than Superman's by a fair margin, but Wonder Woman's is virtually non-existant.  I mean Circe?  Cheetah?

And Thanos at #47? :rolleyes:
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sophie Scholl

I wouldn't put Magneto in the top 5.  Maybe not even the top 10.  He just isn't evil enough really, plus he's been a good guy on occasion.  I think Darkseid is also rated too low.  When I think top villains, I think of those consistently evil through the years.  I'll definately agree with Doom, Luthor and The Joker in the top 5.  Galactus bothers me as well.  He isn't evil really, he just is.  We're not evil for eating things to keep us alive, why is he?  What difference does it make if there were a bunch of fleas or some such on the cow before it was slaughtered and made into my delicious hamburger or steak?
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

jimmy olsen

Yeah, but Neil, Veidt actually wins.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 26, 2009, 02:42:29 PM
Sure he does.  But that doesn't make him the greatest.  He had a single masterful performance, but the top villains have been doing it day in and day out for decades.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Judas Iscariot on May 26, 2009, 02:42:21 PM

I wouldn't put Magneto in the top 5.  Maybe not even the top 10.  He just isn't evil enough really, plus he's been a good guy on occasion.  I think Darkseid is also rated too low.  When I think top villains, I think of those consistently evil through the years.  I'll definately agree with Doom, Luthor and The Joker in the top 5.  Galactus bothers me as well.  He isn't evil really, he just is.  We're not evil for eating things to keep us alive, why is he?  What difference does it make if there were a bunch of fleas or some such on the cow before it was slaughtered and made into my delicious hamburger or steak?
Eating the Earth is considered inherently villainous.  Killing billions of sophonts is considered villainous, even if the being doing the killing is as far beyond humans as we are beyond bacteria.  He opposes the heroes, and is thus a villain.  Still, Galactus seems out of place in the top 5, I agree.  Darkseid would be a better rounding out.

As for Magneto, he's clearly a top villain.  Just because he turned good for a while is no barrier to that.  In fact, it's his status as a top villain with a sympathetic backstory that has him shooting between good and evil.  Nevertheless, tearing out Wolverine's adamantium was one of the most glorious things ever to happen.  Fuck Wolverine.

garbon

Does he though? I mean by the end, there isn't really indication that his despicable plan will actually have the effects he desires.  Sure it stopped obliteration that particular moment but that's hardly everlasting peace.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on May 26, 2009, 03:31:53 PM

Does he though? I mean by the end, there isn't really indication that his despicable plan will actually have the effects he desires.  Sure it stopped obliteration that particular moment but that's hardly everlasting peace.
Well, I meant that his villainous plot succeeded. He killed millions of people.

1 Karma Chameleon point

BuddhaRhubarb

I would move Magneto down a couple. Thanos should be top 20. Monghul is a freaking Thanos copyright fudge fer gawd's sake. weak.

and No Catwoman nor Amanda Waller are NOT Villains in the strictest sense. Which is what you want in a top 100.
:p

Neil

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on May 26, 2009, 08:18:50 PM
I would move Magneto down a couple. Thanos should be top 20. Monghul is a freaking Thanos copyright fudge fer gawd's sake. weak.

and No Catwoman nor Amanda Waller are NOT Villains in the strictest sense. Which is what you want in a top 100.
Yeah, but they're kinda reaching for some of the later ones.  MODOK?  Clayface?  Sandman?  The Parasite?  Sebastian Shaw?

I think Magneto is a solid #1.