News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Great Unified Comics Thread

Started by Syt, March 13, 2009, 10:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Looked at "Loveless" at the store today. Looked interesting. Any opinions?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Darth Wagtaros

No.  Can't say as I have one.  After seeing Wanted I was vaguely interested in getting the trade paperback.  About a cabal of supervillains who rule the world. 

PDH!

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Syt on March 13, 2009, 10:40:20 AM
Looked at "Loveless" at the store today. Looked interesting. Any opinions?

Good Vertigo Title. I read the first trade I think. only. But enjoyed it. Thanks for reminding me of it.

in other weird news. I liked Battle For The Cowl #1.

Also the new R.E.B.E.L.s title is really fun. I heart Vril Dox (Brainiac 2 lol)
:p

Syt

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 13, 2009, 09:55:02 PM
No.  Can't say as I have one.  After seeing Wanted I was vaguely interested in getting the trade paperback.  About a cabal of supervillains who rule the world.

Dunno, I found Wanted pretty lame and puerile, TBH (the comic, after reading it I didn't feel like watching the movie, even if it is markedly different).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Darth Wagtaros

Yeah, but it might be something to kill a few minutes with.

What is Loveless?
PDH!

Pedrito

I was gently approaching the 121-pages long thread about graphic novels on the old board, hoping to find interesting suggestions, when it suddenly disappeared.  :(

Anyone of the previous thread contributors care to make a list of the most interesting titles appeared in the disappeared thread? I will be grateful  :)

Authors I like:
Miller
Moore
Watterson
Carl Barks
Schultz
Moebius
Gary Larson
(Larson, Watterson and Schultz cannot really qualify for the "Graphic novel writer" guild, but I like their work a lot)

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Syt on March 14, 2009, 02:20:39 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 13, 2009, 09:55:02 PM

Dunno, I found Wanted pretty lame and puerile, TBH (the comic, after reading it I didn't feel like watching the movie, even if it is markedly different).

I quite liked "Wanted" the comic. it was fun, hip and well drawn. But it's not groundbreaking or unique at all. It's just another riff on Authority/Ultimate/Astro City dark, violent, full of sex & swearing kind of comics
:p

Barrister

I bought Watchmen comic after seeing the movie.

I think it's the first comic I've purchased in the last 15 years.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

In that commercial for X-Men Origins, Logan is fighting in the Union Army. I don't remember that, I thought in Origins the first war he fought in was WWI. Also, he's Canadian, wtf?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 21, 2009, 08:42:52 PM
In that commercial for X-Men Origins, Logan is fighting in the Union Army. I don't remember that, I thought in Origins the first war he fought in was WWI. Also, he's Canadian, wtf?
Hollywood loves to Americanize the characters it messes with.

The movie characters are radically different from the comic characters.  Moreover, the US Civil War is distinctive, whereas most Americans are too stupid to tell the Great War from World War II.

In the comics, Logan wasn't born until the Civil War was long over.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on March 21, 2009, 08:51:59 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 21, 2009, 08:42:52 PM
Hollywood loves to Americanize the characters it messes with.

The movie characters are radically different from the comic characters.  Moreover, the US Civil War is distinctive, whereas most Americans are too stupid to tell the Great War from World War II.

In the comics, Logan wasn't born until the Civil War was long over.

Yeah, wasn't he born in the 1880s in British Columbia?

I suppose another reason may be that the Civil War is viewed as a more moral war. I'll note the other shot of him fighting shows him in WWII.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

FunkMonk

Quote from: Barrister on March 16, 2009, 01:51:43 PM
I bought Watchmen comic after seeing the movie.

I think it's the first comic I've purchased in the last 15 years.
I read it last year after finding out they were making a movie. Afterwards I couldn't believe something like it had stayed off my radar for so long.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 21, 2009, 08:55:18 PM
Somewhere in the mountains of Western Canada.  He's ethnic Albertan.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on March 21, 2009, 09:04:55 PM
Alberta didn't even exist yet.  :D

1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 21, 2009, 09:08:22 PM
Quote from: Neil on March 21, 2009, 09:04:55 PM
Alberta didn't even exist yet.  :D
What's your point?