Main Menu

Out And About.

Started by mongers, November 07, 2012, 08:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Malthus on July 07, 2016, 10:04:48 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 07, 2016, 09:56:41 AM
Quote from: Malthus on July 04, 2016, 01:54:35 PM
When I was there last, there was a bunch of new age "Druids" prancing around the stones. The cops let them inside the fence, we mere tourists had to stay outside. 

The archaeologist in me was outraged - they should be pretending to be 'Windmill Hill ' or 'Beaker' people, not goddam Druids.  :mad:  ;)

No shit. If they want to be Druids at least dance around an Oak Tree while performing a human sacrifice.

:yes:

Find some Romans, burn them in wicker cages.  :D
:w00t:

By the by many of you guys should read The Wake. I think you'd like it:
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/apr/02/the-wake-paul-kingsnorth-review-literary-triumph
Let's bomb Russia!

Maladict

Walking along the south bank of the Rhine west from Arnhem, came upon the evacuation site of Market Garden fame.
Picture is taken in the direction of the allied HQ, obscured by trees on the far side of the river.
The monument (out of frame) says "they were just whispers and shadows in the night", presumably referring to the engineers who saved them.

A little further up the road, a plaque dedicated to the 101st. I'm not sure what they did here in Oct/Nov 1944.  :blush:

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on July 11, 2016, 01:15:03 PM
Walking along the south bank of the Rhine west from Arnhem, came upon the evacuation site of Market Garden fame.
Picture is taken in the direction of the allied HQ, obscured by trees on the far side of the river.
The monument (out of frame) says "they were just whispers and shadows in the night", presumably referring to the engineers who saved them.

A little further up the road, a plaque dedicated to the 101st. I'm not sure what they did here in Oct/Nov 1944.  :blush:

Mal, that's a nice find.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

I saw three prostitutes hanging out near Dayton Children's hospital.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Maladict

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 11, 2016, 01:35:05 PM

Need pics so we can say whether or not it's a nice find.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Maladict on July 11, 2016, 01:38:32 PM

Need pics before we can say whether or not it's a nice find.

Nah.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Ambulance chasers. :x
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Business as usual?

garbon

Just took what I realise was my first visit ever to a synagogue. Spent the entire time trying to make sure my yarmulke wouldn't fall off. :blush:

Just saw two women traveling together who each had their own selfie stick. :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tonitrus

Quote from: The Brain on July 11, 2016, 01:48:27 PM

Ambulance chasers. :x

Single dads with sick kids need love too.  :mad:

Savonarola

Quote from: Liep on July 07, 2016, 09:54:18 AM
This "artist" has evolved a bit from only drawing penises. At any rate, his art is spreading wide across the railway and I thought I'd share.

We've got one on my latest project that draws mammoth ice cream cones on our Corten shelters.  I'll get some pictures the next time I'm in the field.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

garbon

Just was at the super detailed military history museum in Dresden. Split into two main parts with a chronological history of German warfare since middle ages to present and then another that is ordered thematically about war. Spent a little over 2 hours and only saw chronologically ordered portion. Well worth a visit and a steal at just 5 euros.

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on July 19, 2016, 09:31:40 AM
Just was at the super detailed military history museum in Dresden. Split into two main parts with a chronological history of German warfare since middle ages to present and then another that is ordered thematically about war. Spent a little over 2 hours and only saw chronologically ordered portion. Well worth a visit and a steal at just 5 euros.

:cool:

Nice find.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Maladict on July 11, 2016, 01:15:03 PM

There was an episode of Band of Brothers in which the 101st covers the withdrawal of a group of Red Devils who had been left behind after the evacuation of Oosterbeek.  Maybe something to do with that.

garbon

Curiously, several of the key museums in Dresden required you to scan your museum ticket to be able to use the toilets. :hmm: