News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Out And About.

Started by mongers, November 07, 2012, 08:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: PRC on April 12, 2016, 11:05:22 PM
Mongers, what did you think of the recent Guardian article: a lament for the changed world of cycling (http://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2016/apr/12/no-more-hippies-and-explorers-lament-for-the-changed-world-of-cycling).

Thanks PRC for that, very interesting read. :cheers:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Brazen

Out and about on my lunchtime stroll.

mongers

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadImmortalMan

Anyone know *coughfakealfred* much about driving in south america?

We're thinking of going one way by rental between Santiago and Puerto Montt. Looks like it's similar to driving Portland to Los Angeles. Long trip with lots to see...don't want to do it again to catch a plane.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

alfred russel

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 14, 2016, 07:47:21 PM

We're thinking of going one way by rental between Santiago and Puerto Montt. Looks like it's similar to driving Portland to Los Angeles. Long trip with lots to see...don't want to do it again to catch a plane.

Yep. Never driven that route, or really in Chile at all (in a way that counts), but I don't see anything that should be so difficult about it. The Chileans in Argentina used to rave about the wonderful roads in Argentina because they suck in Chile, but I would think that route will be a good one.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

MadImmortalMan

Anything shouldn't skip?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

alfred russel

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 14, 2016, 08:21:29 PM
Anything shouldn't skip?

What does that mean? As in sights to see? I've never been to that part of Chile. I would advise though that one of my favorite places in the world is Patagonia, especially to drive. The roads can be really bad though, but it is so empty, so awesome, and also safe.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 14, 2016, 07:47:21 PM

For what it's worth...

For the big trip to brazil 3 years ago, my brother was adamant 'you can't rent a car in south America - the driving is horrible!'.  Which caused us to feel stuck unless we could beg/borrow/steal a ride from someone.

From watching when we were driven around... traffic wasn't great.  Driving wasn't tremendous fun.  But compared to traffic in Rome, it was child's play.  I would have gladly rented a car on the antipode.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Savonarola

I was on the opposite side of the continent, and never drove myself; but from my experience in Colombia I learned:

1.)  Sounding the horn means, "I'm going to do something incredibly stupid, so watch out."
2.)  If you're following a trucker and he turns his turn signal he's signalling that it's safe for you to pass him; not that he's turning.
3.)  Random construction and gruesome accidents are inevitable so have a lot of patience.
4.)  Those who can drive, do; those who can't drive, drive buses.
5.)  The lines on the road aren't meant to be taken literally.

You should get the low down from the locals on military or police check points as well (and what to do if you get stopped.)  We got stopped and searched on a few occasions.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Savonarola on April 15, 2016, 07:55:01 AM
4.)  Those who can drive, do; those who can't drive, drive buses.

This one's t-shirt worthy.  :D
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on April 13, 2016, 10:54:09 AM
Quote from: mongers on April 13, 2016, 10:52:55 AM
Right, I'm off out.

Have fun!

Didn't go anywhere special, just a 30 mile spin around one of the hillier bits of the forest, though somewhere I've not been in nearly six months.  :blush:

Problem is finding big enough hills to go up in these parts, at least the loop I took rises and falls a lot, so it's an OK workout.

mongers

Today I accidentally took a diversion to Lover via Bohemia.  :bowler:

Maladict

Forgot I took some pictures on my walk the other day  :)

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on April 22, 2016, 12:46:02 PM
Forgot I took some pictures on my walk the other day  :)

:)

Nice.

Lots of lambing going on hereabouts the last few days.