News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Out And About.

Started by mongers, November 07, 2012, 08:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norgy

August or September would be the best months. Remember, you start at somewhere above sea level that has snow still.

Liep

Quote from: Norgy on April 04, 2016, 08:34:18 AM
August or September would be the best months. Remember, you start at somewhere above sea level that has snow still.

Last I visited my family up there it was June, there were still meter high snow banks around their house. :uffda: It was a sunny 15 degrees though, so all good.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

alfred russel

I learned to set up a rappel point and use it to descend over the weekend. That was cool.

A guy I climb with taught me and a friend what to do. Then I climbed a wall and set the rappel point and rappelled down, but he was watching and caught a few mistakes I was making. Then my buddy was going over the steps (on the ground) before he was to do the same thing, but he was getting stuck, so I stepped in to help him out, but then I was confused too, and our teacher saw this and said, "you know what? I don't think you guys need to rappel anymore today." And thus ended our rappelling.  :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: mongers on April 03, 2016, 05:35:40 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 03, 2016, 05:30:50 PM
Quote from: mongers on April 01, 2016, 06:33:57 AM
Looks like good riding conditions.

Flat?  Yeah.

But a lot of wind up there, apparently.  :cry:

I cycled the length of Jutland once, there was a stiff wind blowing against us all the way, it was a bit like cycling up a not very steep but 200-mile long hill. Every now and then we would try and get up some speed....but no.........just a long slog at maybe 10mph when you would maybe expect twice that.

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 04, 2016, 11:11:32 AM

Flat?  Yeah.

I cycled the length of Jutland once, there was a stiff wind blowing against us all the way, it was a bit like cycling up a not very steep but 200-mile long hill. Every now and then we would try and get up some speed....but no.........just a long slog at maybe 10mph when you would maybe expect twice that.

You should write copy for the Danish tourism board.  :D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Liep

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 04, 2016, 11:11:32 AM

Flat?  Yeah.

Along the west coast? A beautiful way to die.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Norgy

I hear a cycling holiday in Gotland, Sweden is quite good.

But cycling in Jutland, you can go from "kro" to "kro" and get a bed and a decent meal. And your drinks.

The wilderness of Norway has some serviced but very limited cabins in the mountains.
"Rallarvegen" is rather heavy on traffic, so you'll have to interact with other people.

mongers

Quote from: Norgy on April 04, 2016, 02:39:20 PM
I hear a cycling holiday in Gotland, Sweden is quite good.

But cycling in Jutland, you can go from "kro" to "kro" and get a bed and a decent meal. And your drinks.

The wilderness of Norway has some serviced but very limited cabins in the mountains.
"Rallarvegen" is rather heavy on traffic, so you'll have to interact with other people.

Norgy thanks for the tips.  :)

If I had the time this summer I might consider it, The Netherlands, German coast, Denmark and finishing in Norway is certain a route I've thought about in the past, maybe 2017/18?

Norgy

No need to thank me. Just give a small hint if you're in Norway.  :hug:

Liep

Quote from: mongers on April 04, 2016, 02:45:22 PM

If I had the time this summer I might consider it, The Netherlands, German coast, Denmark and finishing in Norway is certain a route I've thought about in the past, maybe 2017/18?

Looks like a very good route and there's supposedly cycle paths almost all the way. You'd have to sacrifice a few goats to get at least not unfavourable winds though.

Maladict

:cool:
Let me know when it happens.

Maladict

Quote from: Liep on April 04, 2016, 03:14:20 PM
Looks like a very good route and there's supposedly cycle paths almost all the way. You'd have to sacrifice a few goats to get at least not unfavourable winds though.

Along the Dutch part you should have predominantly west or southwest winds, which is perfect.

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on April 05, 2016, 03:52:10 PM

At the rate I'm going about 5 years ago.  :D

Seriously why can't I recover from distances like I use to?   :(

PRC

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on April 05, 2016, 04:32:17 PM
Quote from: Maladict on April 05, 2016, 03:52:10 PM

At the rate I'm going about 5 years ago.  :D

Seriously why can't I recover from distances like I use to?   :(

You should go bicycle down Route 66.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?