Started by mongers, November 07, 2012, 08:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Tonitrus

Quote from: Zanza on December 06, 2015, 10:28:23 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 06, 2015, 10:18:38 PM
South America?
Yes, Argentina.

Los Glaciares?  If so, me jelly.  Put out an AAR at some point please...that's on my bucket list.  :)

alfred russel

Awesome zanza. I drove down that road and saw the same sight. I thought, "i should take a picture but im tired, ill take some another day." But weather moved in and i never saw fitzroy again.

Sorry to skip out on you, btw.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

Beautiful photo Zanza.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

MadImmortalMan

Pic looks extremely familiar. Is that near the Chilean border, like Torres del Paine or O'Higgins area maybe?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

alfred russel

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 07, 2015, 11:57:26 PM
Pic looks extremely familiar. Is that near the Chilean border, like Torres del Paine or O'Higgins area maybe?

I believe that is the road into El Chalten--it is the access road to El Chalten from the famous Ruta Cuarenta--one of the epic roads in the world (though Zanza probably is arriving from El Calafate which has an airport nearby).

That picture is immortalized in the Patagonia logo. The future founder of Patagonia led the climb of the Fitz Roy (the main mountain in the picture) with the future founder of North Face back in the 60s. It was the third ascent of the Fitz Roy and they filmed it--which was one of the first epic mountaineering movies (you can view it on youtube). The popularity of that movie in climbing circles helped springboard the launch of the Patagonia brand which is memorialized both in the name of the company and the logo.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Zanza

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 07, 2015, 01:27:25 AM
Quote from: Zanza on December 06, 2015, 10:28:23 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 06, 2015, 10:18:38 PM
South America?
Yes, Argentina.

Los Glaciares?  If so, me jelly.  Put out an AAR at some point please...that's on my bucket list.  :)
Si, claro. I can write a short AAR after I did Torres del Paine.

Zanza

Quote from: alfred russel on December 07, 2015, 01:36:05 AM
Sorry to skip out on you, btw.
You missed out...
Got a real bad sunburn today.  :glare:

alfred russel

Quote from: Zanza on December 08, 2015, 07:46:36 PM
Si, claro. I can write a short AAR after I did Torres del Paine.

I'll be interested in that.

Be careful with the sunburn. I think you might be missing some of the ozone layer down there.

katmai

Quote from: alfred russel on December 08, 2015, 12:11:01 AM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 07, 2015, 11:57:26 PM

I believe that is the road into El Chalten--it is the access road to El Chalten from the famous Ruta Cuarenta--one of the epic roads in the world (though Zanza probably is arriving from El Calafate which has an airport nearby).

That picture is immortalized in the Patagonia logo. The future founder of Patagonia led the climb of the Fitz Roy (the main mountain in the picture) with the future founder of North Face back in the 60s. It was the third ascent of the Fitz Roy and they filmed it--which was one of the first epic mountaineering movies (you can view it on youtube). The popularity of that movie in climbing circles helped springboard the launch of the Patagonia brand which is memorialized both in the name of the company and the logo.
he just passed away yesterday in Chile
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

mongers

I went to the beach this afternoon, which was nice, but given I got there at 5pm and it's 50 degrees north, it was a wee bit dark.  :bowler:

alfred russel

Quote from: katmai on December 09, 2015, 10:32:19 AM
he just passed away yesterday in Chile

If anyone wants to watch the movie I was referencing, it is on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fBgCVbjHRg&list=PLV7EVrQuKQL2JhacreR9uEvUeO3qLF5vU&index=3

The two lead climbers - one was the dude that just died in Chile that founded North Face, the other went on to found Patagonia. The road that Zanza was posting the pic from: well that area wasn't paved in the video, and a lot of it wasn't drivable (they got in with mules).

mongers

Considering it's really on my doorstep or should I say riverbank, I have to get to Stonehenge more often next year, this year I passed by only a couple of times.  :cry:

Malthus

Hippie-henge.  :D

I went to see it last time I was in England. They had the henge roped off, but they allowed a bunch of self-styled "Druids" in to cavort right around the stones. I guess the word hasn't gone out that Stonehenge historically had nothing to do with the Druids or their religion.  :P

I was briefly tempted to claim I was a 'Beaker People' Nobleman-Priest so that I, too, could cavort right up to the stones - away with these Druidical newcomers! Off to an Oak Tree Grove with the lot of you! - but restrained myself.  ;) (Plus, I lacked a neat costume, and it was too chilly to go nude).
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius