Out And About.

Started by mongers, November 07, 2012, 08:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

A Sony compact called HX10V.

Martinus

Maladict

mongers

Out for a walk along the river this evening, in the half light I saw a tiny frog, that's the first amphibian I've seen here in five or six years.  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Popped out late this afternoon for a spin around 'my' forest, lovely day not a cloud in the sky.

Past this place which is about 10 miles from home. It's a little enclosed site with an inscription commemorating the church services help by the Canadian army on the spot in the run up to D-day. 

mongers

Happy Birthday Frodo !

I could do with a similar outdoor adventure.  :bowler:

PJL

Quote from: mongers on September 21, 2015, 11:30:04 PM
Happy Birthday Frodo !

I could do with a similar outdoor adventure.  :bowler:

Actually his birthday was a few days back, since the winter solstice lands on a different day in the Shire Calendar than to our own.

Malthus

Quote from: mongers on September 20, 2015, 08:06:25 PM
Popped out late this afternoon for a spin around 'my' forest, lovely day not a cloud in the sky.

Past this place which is about 10 miles from home. It's a little enclosed site with an inscription commemorating the church services help by the Canadian army on the spot in the run up to D-day.

Interesting - here in Toronto, there is a little park dedicated to Norwegian airmen who trained here during WW2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Norway_Park

Another, hidden memorial I found wandering about, north of my own neighbourhood. There is an ancient-seeming roadway that leads up to a cemetary off the "main street" in my neighbourhood (Royal York Rd.), and I passed it for years before investigating - it turned out to be a Jewish cemetary, and many of the gravestones mentioned that the deceased had survived the Holocaust, and mentioned on the stone the names of various relations who had not (and presumably had no other memorial). Very moving.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Richard Hakluyt

A war memorial/cemetery that I found particularly moving is quite near your place mongers, Sutton Veny in Wiltshire.

http://www.suttonveny.co.uk/1st-world-war.html

A number of Australians died there of the Spanish flu, many of them after the Armistice. Their deaths must have come as a terrible blow to their families, as they had either survived the front or never had to go there at all  :(

mongers

Thanks for that Tricky, yes it's about 20-25 miles over the north Dorset and South Wiltshire downs from me. I've been through the village, but not stopped to see that.

mongers

Late this afternoon I popped out into mid Dorset to visit one of my favourite hill forts, Badbury rings, nothing spectacular, but a nice place within easy reach and since it's at the intersection of three Roman roads, it's a good route way. 

Also a road nearby intentionally tree-lined with some nice mature trees, though some are getting old, so two new lines of trees have been planted as a fallback.

crazy canuck

Roman culture is alive and well.  :D

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Brain

That's a good plaque I think. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Nice photos MiM.  :cool:

Still pottling about on bike in unusually mild Autumn here, had a nice ride up the valley yesterday, t-shirt weather.

Got a puncture on the way home, but since it was the first in over 6months, not a issue and swapping out a tube on a grassy verge in the New Forest, ain't exactly the worst place to do it, certainly as compared to most of the places car breakdowns have left me.  :bowler: