Started by mongers, November 07, 2012, 08:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Here's some random stuff.

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

Truckee river (which apparently yields platinum if you pan there).

MadImmortalMan

Nevada historical markers.

MadImmortalMan

This is the "road" the Donner party took.

Admiral Yi

Also where they ended up inventing the Donner kebab.

HAR HAR HAR

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Spent much of the late afternoon in the company of rooks and crows, they seemed to enjoy 'playing' in the strong Westerlies, popping up from behind hedges, hanging in the air above or beside me in the country lanes. You get the odd impression there's more to their lives than just food, survival and procreation.

On the way home five near mature red deer stags run out 30-40 feet in front of me and smashed across the lane into the large fresh ploughed field on the left, waiting at the top of which were three hinds; Spring arisen.  :)

Admiral Yi

Ran into what looked like a Robin single's party on my walk.  About 9 birds hanging out on the same lawn.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 29, 2015, 06:45:16 PM
Ran into what looked like a Robin single's party on my walk.  About 9 birds hanging out on the same lawn.

Over here many of our Robins are now Ruskies, new Putin infiltration tactic?

Lots of tits in the garden at the moment; odd as I hadn't even stepped outside.  :)

Eddie Teach

Guys, stop perving on those birds' tits.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

The doves on my patio are back. We painted the house and moved the shelves they were nesting on. A couple weeks ago, I saw them standing at the front door. Just chilling on the porch. I thought, hey maybe they want their nest back. So we put the shelves back and the rocks back on top. Two hours later they had made another nest there and there are currently two eggs.

mongers

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 29, 2015, 09:53:41 PM
The doves on my patio are back. We painted the house and moved the shelves they were nesting on. A couple weeks ago, I saw them standing at the front door. Just chilling on the porch. I thought, hey maybe they want their nest back. So we put the shelves back and the rocks back on top. Two hours later they had made another nest there and there are currently two eggs.

Beautiful.  :)

KRonn

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 29, 2015, 09:53:41 PM
Nice. This winter during all the cold and heavy snows I started feeding the birds with a couple of feeders. Figured they had to be hard up for food to survive. The feeder attracts a lot of birds! Hoping to see some more rare birds, like purple finches and some warblers, and I've already seen them at times. Two feeders were small or flimsy and succumbed to large birds or squirrel damage. The one I have now is sturdy and mostly squirrel proof as it closes down the feed ports with a squirrel's weight on it. And I've seen that works too! I may put up more of them but not sure if I want to keep feeding them year round as they can make a bit of a mess.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on February 17, 2015, 03:25:52 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 17, 2015, 03:22:24 PM
I'm saying you are wrong though. :blush:

Well, ok so you are wrong instead. I find people with tastes like you or mongers to be pretentious. :P

:lmfao:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Start a new project tomorrow, involves spending more hours 'out and about'; maybe be money in it too.  :bowler: