News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Out And About.

Started by mongers, November 07, 2012, 08:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

There may be something wrong with me, but I always found the experience of "sight seeing" lacking in the first place.

Sure, I like going to a foreign place to get the "feel", taste the food, smell the scents, etc. But the concept of going into a museum to see some painting (that I can very well see online), or seeing some monument has always left me wanting - I have a bit of "you've seen one, you've seen them all" attitude to them.

It's like during that one Paris meet we had a few years ago - we ended up in a pub watching rugby and it was more fun than trying to get to the top of the Eiffel Tower.

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on February 17, 2015, 03:12:49 PM
Sure, I like going to a foreign place to get the "feel", taste the food, smell the scents, etc.

OK Cal.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

But the concept of going into a museum to see some painting (that I can very well see online), or seeing some monument has always left me wanting - I have a bit of "you've seen one, you've seen them all" attitude to them.

Well I suppose that's one opinion. Personally, I think that there is a very different experience between seeing something online and seeing it in person. There's a large measure of physicality that is missing.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

I am not even presenting it as an opinion - it's just how I feel. I acknowledge that other people may feel differently about it, and for them sight-seeing is enjoyable. For me it has always felt like a chore.

My perfect vacation is a nice seaside hotel (5 star or higher standard), with good exotic food, lots of booze and several good books. I don't really need to see the Taj Mahal. Plus I hate walking.

Did I mention I have been going to exactly the same hotel for my annual vacation since at least 2008? :P

mongers

Quote from: garbon on February 17, 2015, 03:15:50 PM
But the concept of going into a museum to see some painting (that I can very well see online), or seeing some monument has always left me wanting - I have a bit of "you've seen one, you've seen them all" attitude to them.

Well I suppose that's one opinion. Personally, I think that there is a very different experience between seeing something online and seeing it in person. There's a large measure of physicality that is missing.

Indeed, even paintings are surprisingly three-dimensional.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on February 17, 2015, 03:17:35 PM
I am not even presenting it as an opinion - it's just how I feel.

:hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on February 17, 2015, 03:18:33 PM
Quote from: Martinus on February 17, 2015, 03:17:35 PM
I am not even presenting it as an opinion - it's just how I feel.

:hmm:

Well, for me an opinion is a belief about reality that you hold. I am just describing my personal taste. I guess it's an opinion in the same way "I don't like artichoke" is an opinion. But I am not saying other people who have different tastes are wrong.

garbon

I'm saying you are wrong though. :blush:

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on February 17, 2015, 03:22:24 PM

Well, ok so you are wrong instead. I find people with tastes like you or mongers to be pretentious. :P

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on February 17, 2015, 03:25:52 PM

Well, ok so you are wrong instead. I find people with tastes like you or mongers to be pretentious. :P

I think you need an art appreciation class. :P

Though given that you liked that Will Smith movie, I'm not sure how much help it could provide. :D

Eddie Teach

Wait a minute, Mongers is pretentious? And this is coming from Martinus?  :huh:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on February 17, 2015, 03:28:59 PM
Quote from: Martinus on February 17, 2015, 03:25:52 PM

I think you need an art appreciation class. :P

Though given that you liked that Will Smith movie, I'm not sure how much help it could provide. :D

I appreciate art... if it hangs on my wall.

Other than that, I see a little point. :P

mongers

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 17, 2015, 03:31:47 PM
Wait a minute, Mongers is pretentious? And this is coming from Martinus?  :huh:

Talk about damning with faint praise, given my level of art appreciation is "Ug likes picture/ Ug doesn't like picture"

mongers

Popped out late afternoon to visit a favourite hill fort in deepest Dorset, misjudged how late it was and the strenght of the cool NE wind, so only made it over the Stour to a nice medieval bridge at some place called Sturminster Newtown or is that Sturminster Marshall, before turning tail and rushing back home.   :bowler: