And we're back!

Main Menu

Out And About.

Started by mongers, November 07, 2012, 08:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Quote from: mongers on February 07, 2015, 04:01:40 PM
Quote from: KRonn on February 07, 2015, 03:24:16 PM
I've been trying to get out of winter hibernation also with some good walks. I was able to get a walk in today as it started snowing, though it was shorter than usual because of the messy roads.

All good, I'm hoping to do a bit of walking this year as well; soon as the campsites reopen in the national park this spring, I'm gonna load up a rucksack with a tent and overnight stuff, hike across the Forest, spend the night and return next day by a different route.

See how far I can do in 24 hours/short weekend, if I still enjoy/endure camping and find out just how badly I've let things go.
That is excellent! Good workout and spending time outdoors camping, plus the scenery and serenity of being there all added in.   :)

mongers

Yeah, and then I'm knackered for the next two weeks and muscles hurt that I didn't know I had.  :D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Liep

Quote from: mongers on February 07, 2015, 04:32:57 PM
Yeah, and then I'm knackered for the next two weeks and muscles hurt that I didn't know I had.  :D

Only the first few times. :contract:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

I spent this afternoon on my "last" trip to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. It was a good trip though a few things had me wishing that I'd walked around with my headphones on (and maybe blinders?)...

• French dude who used the express kiosk to buy tickets and then came and told all of us in line that we were stupid for queuing when we could just use the machine. I didn't have the heart to tell him that the machine charges $25 whereas if you deal with a person, you can pay $1 or less.
  • A girl who took several wacky selfies in front of some paintings and then discussed with her boyfriend about how they were that awful couple.
  • In a period room that displayed an 18th century Ottoman reception area, a man joked about how many orgies the room must have seen.
  • A girl who exclaimed that a piece of modern art was simply too good to pass up and proceeded to have her gay friend take her photo using it as a backdrop. Yay social media?
  • The many Nikon SLR individuals who took photographs of every object in a room. What were they documenting it all for?
  • A guy who went on and on in the coat check line about what a total douchebag he was.

I did love though the little girl who was curious about sarcophagi as well as the elderly woman who said "Who was that artist I discovered today that I love so much? Kandinsky?" :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maladict

Quote from: garbon on February 16, 2015, 10:42:29 PM
I spent this afternoon on my "last" trip to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. It was a good trip though a few things had me wishing that I'd walked around with my headphones on (and maybe blinders?)...

• French dude who used the express kiosk to buy tickets and then came and told all of us in line that we were stupid for queuing when we could just use the machine. I didn't have the heart to tell him that the machine charges $25 whereas if you deal with a person, you can pay $1 or less.
  • A girl who took several wacky selfies in front of some paintings and then discussed with her boyfriend about how they were that awful couple.
  • In a period room that displayed an 18th century Ottoman reception area, a man joked about how many orgies the room must have seen.
  • A girl who exclaimed that a piece of modern art was simply too good to pass up and proceeded to have her gay friend take her photo using it as a backdrop. Yay social media?
  • The many Nikon SLR individuals who took photographs of every object in a room. What were they documenting it all for?
  • A guy who went on and on in the coat check line about what a total douchebag he was.

I did love though the little girl who was curious about sarcophagi as well as the elderly woman who said "Who was that artist I discovered today that I love so much? Kandinsky?" :)

People in museums :bleeding:

I do take pictures of stuff I find interesting, sometimes excessively so.  :blush:

Syt

I occasionally take pics in museums, but not as many as I used to (usually there'll be much better pictures available online if I want to revisit).

I have several Kandinsky repros framed on my walls. :blush:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

People taking pictures of stuff have always baffled me.

Now, don't get me wrong, I get people who take artistic photographs of stuff; or people who want to have a selfie (or have someone else take picture of them in front of something famous).

But if you are just taking picture of some work of art, monument or landmark that thousands of people before you took a picture of (in a way that is much more professional, crisp and nice) and all such pictures are available online, I'm baffled.

Monoriu

Quote from: Martinus on February 17, 2015, 04:16:38 AM

Now, don't get me wrong, I get people who take artistic photographs of stuff; or people who want to have a selfie (or have someone else take picture of them in front of something famous).

But if you are just taking picture of some work of art, monument or landmark that thousands of people before you took a picture of (in a way that is much more professional, crisp and nice) and all such pictures are available online, I'm baffled.

But how they see it is different from how I see it.  Differnet time of the day, different weather, different people in the background, etc.  I want to remember how I saw it. 

Martinus

Maladict

Quote from: Martinus on February 17, 2015, 04:16:38 AM

Artistic photos, sure. Sculpture especially lends itself very well to somewhat original photography.

Selfies in front of art completely baffle me. They are generally terrible, and why do you have to be in it? Your friends won't believe you otherwise? You really need your face obscuring something that is actually worth looking at? And it is incredibly annoying to other visitors.

Taking pictures of stuff is great. It helps me remember, like writing something down helps remembering it even if you never look at the writing again.
When back home the pictures will actually prompt me to learn more about the objects, without the pictures I generally don't.
And as Mono says, sometimes you want to preserve the conditions as they were when you saw it.

Valmy

Quote from: Maladict on February 17, 2015, 04:57:17 AM
Selfies in front of art completely baffle me. They are generally terrible, and why do you have to be in it? Your friends won't believe you otherwise? You really need your face obscuring something that is actually worth looking at? And it is incredibly annoying to other visitors.

So you remember your trip to see whatever it is you are seeing?  Decades from now that will be more interesting than the thing itself.  And I have no idea why I should be incredibly annoyed by people take selfies.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on February 17, 2015, 08:20:36 AM
And I have no idea why I should be incredibly annoyed by people take selfies.

Well for one, I wish we could go back to the days when taking a selfie was an embarrassing thing to do. In a gallery it is also incredibly annoying as it is like get the fuck out of the way. I don't need you standing in front of a painting so that you can document how you are a narcisstic tool knowing you'll compound that by putting it up on social media.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on February 17, 2015, 09:24:56 AM

Well for one, I wish we could go back to the days when taking a selfie was an embarrassing thing to do. In a gallery it is also incredibly annoying as it is like get the fuck out of the way. I don't need you standing in front of a painting so that you can document how you are a narcisstic tool knowing you'll compound that by putting it up on social media.

Well before then they would have their friend taking a picture of them standing in front of it.  This way seems to take up less space.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on February 17, 2015, 09:26:04 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 17, 2015, 09:24:56 AM

Well before then they would have their friend taking a picture of them standing in front of it.  This way seems to take up less space.

Both of those are awful / I noted that I saw both.

mongers

Nice afternoon out on Sunday, this is what stopped be getting any further, about 2-3 feet of thick muddy/chalky water , sorry about the photo quality but it was dusk:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"