News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Out And About.

Started by mongers, November 07, 2012, 08:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Owls are harbingers of death. :(
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Jacob

Eddie Teach

I really don't know what to make of that.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Had to visit one of my local cities, managed to get out and visited a new by hill fort, had a good wander around here testing out a new camera.

Given how late it was in the day, decided not to catch a bus back into the city, but headed down in to the valley and found a stretch of my beloved river that was new to me. I followed this all the way back into the city, where for a while it's natural exuberance is curtailed by concrete and brick, it's then joined by four other rivers and leaves the city invigorated as it head to where I live and eventually the sea.

All told a nice little 5-6 mile late afternoon walk.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

On the way home this evening on the bus, I think I half bumped into a woman from my past, but given my terrible memory for female faces I couldn't be sure it was her, someone I'd probably not seen for 15 or more years. So I didn't say anything, not wanting to embarrassed, if I was her, I hope she didn't think I was intentionally ignoring her.

I retrospect it would have been good to have exchanged pleasantries, seasonal greetings and wished her all the best in the future. But you know what it's like after all long tiring day, you're just wanting to get home, relax and by that time the outside world is a bit of a blur or rather distant.  :(

KRonn

Yeah Mongers, been there, done that. Not sure if I know someone, or it's been so long that I don't think to say anything. Sometimes they may say hello and I have to remember who they are or where I know them from. 

mongers

Quote from: KRonn on December 18, 2014, 02:59:01 PM
Yeah Mongers, been there, done that. Not sure if I know someone, or it's been so long that I don't think to say anything. Sometimes they may say hello and I have to remember who they are or where I know them from.

KRoon, do you think it's in part a consequence of deafness, us not picking up all the information, maybe being able to hear a familiar voice from 4 feet away when it's not directed toward you, is quite an important part of 'recognising' someone?

The Brain

You guys still build hill forts?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

KRonn

Quote from: mongers on December 18, 2014, 03:17:25 PM

KRoon, do you think it's in part a consequence of deafness, us not picking up all the information, maybe being able to hear a familiar voice from 4 feet away when it's not directed toward you, is quite an important part of 'recognising' someone?
For me I don't think so. I think sometimes it's seeing someone outside of a familiar context where you know them. For instance, recently in the market I ran into a women who works where I do, not in the same group but we see each other every day. It took us each a moment to recognize that we knew each other.

Other times it's not having seen someone for a long time and they've changed in appearance, as have I, so neither says anything. Also could be just that people being reserved and don't care much to say hello sometimes.

mongers

Quote from: KRonn on December 19, 2014, 09:51:21 AM
Quote from: mongers on December 18, 2014, 03:17:25 PM

For me I don't think so. I think sometimes it's seeing someone outside of a familiar context where you know them. For instance, recently in the market I ran into a women who works where I do, not in the same group but we see each other every day. It took us each a moment to recognize that we knew each other.

Other times it's not having seen someone for a long time and they've changed in appearance, as have I, so neither says anything. Also could be just that people being reserved and don't care much to say hello sometimes.

Yes KRonn that all sounds rather familiar, it's definitely one aspect of life that I've not sussed out even after of all these years.

Other stuff I've evolved behaviours and rules of thumbs that work well, but this thing slightly bothers me, it's like the one hang-back to my teenage years.  :hmm:

It doesn't help that I reckon I'm one of the most anonymous looking people you could find, maybe I should have applied to join the security services after all.  :ph34r:

KRonn

You missed your calling in govt. security services, even MI6! Could have had a nice pension out of that.     ;)

mongers

Quote from: KRonn on December 19, 2014, 11:16:41 AM
You missed your calling in govt. security services, even MI6! Could have had a nice pension out of that.     ;)

I think you have to be talented or bright to join SIS.  :(

Maybe a 'plodding' job at MI5 might have better, oddly on several occasions at protest movements/groups I've engaged with, people have suggested or said I might be some form of police or government agent; maybe 'if the glove fits'.  :D  :ph34r:

Zanza

The seven historical church steeples of Lübeck at dusk across the Wakenitz river. I was just running the nice 6.5 km circle along its shore when I saw this and had to stop to take a picture.  :)

Syt

Any flooding in Lübeck? My old home town on the Stör is Land Unter, as almost every year by now (I recall it was only once when I was a kid, and it was the first time since anyone could remember). They're saying it's the worst flood in Holstein in decades.

Used to live in the red house in the center of the picture in the 80s. It's about 150, 200 meters from the river.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.