Main Menu

Out And About.

Started by mongers, November 07, 2012, 08:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Zanza on July 27, 2014, 08:44:52 AM
Quote from: mongers on July 23, 2014, 04:30:09 PM
Quote from: Zanza on July 23, 2014, 04:07:03 PM
Hiking trip in the Alps coming up next weekend. :)

:cool:  :jealous:

Have fun.
Poor weather with lots of rainfall and low-hanging clouds made it impossible to reach the summit we had aimed for. On the way down, one of my friends sprained his ankle, so we had to skip the tour we had planned for the second day...  :thumbsdown:
We still had fun in the evening drinking in a nice alpine hiking hut.  :cheers:

Which summit were you going for?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: garbon on June 29, 2014, 02:10:16 PM
I finally broke my...embargo(?) and went to NYC's pride parade. After all, it does pass through my neighborhood. :blush:

I have to say that I once again realize that I am not a parade person - though the sense of enthusiasm was heartening. :)

I once went to the Pride Parade...I went to mass at Saint Patrick's and the Pride Parade went past the church. The had a bunch of police there to keep apart the church people and the pride people. I'm not sure who they were keeping from who... :hmm:

Anyway, so I went around the block and foiled the NYPD's attempt to keep me away from the parade. More interesting than the standard Memorial Day parades I grew up watching.  :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Zanza

Quote from: alfred russel on July 27, 2014, 03:35:59 PM
Just a random 2238m peak in the Austrian alps that doesn't even have an English wiki entry. Some minor climbing though: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kellenspitze

alfred russel

Quote from: Zanza on July 27, 2014, 03:51:40 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 27, 2014, 03:35:59 PM
Just a random 2238m peak in the Austrian alps that doesn't even have an English wiki entry. Some minor climbing though: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kellenspitze

Cool. Were you doing the via ferrara?

Zanza

No, I've done simple via ferratas (grade A and B) before, but that one is a grade D which is way beyond my climbing skills. There were some parts of the normal route that could be classified as a grade A via ferrata as you had to grab a steel rope to get up or down there.

This is the via ferrata there. As you can see, lots of C and D. We passed the entry and then circled around the mountain to get up on the backside of this picture, but even that way was so slippery and hard to see in the fog that we couldn't make it.

mongers

Quote from: Zanza on July 27, 2014, 02:33:03 PM
And something for the history nerds here: Two weeks ago, I visited the Burg Hohenzollern.

Now That is a proper castle.   :cool:

Too bad Cromwell trashed so many of ours. :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Zanza

Actually it's a fake castle, like say Neuschwanstein and was mostly build by romantics in the 19th century.

mongers

Quote from: Zanza on July 28, 2014, 12:39:04 PM
Actually it's a fake castle, like say Neuschwanstein and was mostly build by romantics in the 19th century.

Well even our fake castles are pretty crap; here's one I recently walked past, Cardiff 'castle':

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Zanza on July 27, 2014, 02:33:03 PM
And something for the history nerds here:

Great pics, Z.

See, that's the Germany I like...not Big Meanie Germany of the late 19th/early 20th, Pure Evil on Earth Germany (jew know who) or present-day Germanweenie.

alfred russel

Quote from: Zanza on July 28, 2014, 10:29:59 AM
No, I've done simple via ferratas (grade A and B) before, but that one is a grade D which is way beyond my climbing skills. There were some parts of the normal route that could be classified as a grade A via ferrata as you had to grab a steel rope to get up or down there.

I did a via ferrata last year..it was rated ks 2-3. How does that convert to the grades you describe? (it must be A-B, because I have limited skills).

mongers

Visited Bovington Tank museum this afternoon, nice little trip out ( bike-train-shank's pony )

Good sized collection, well presented in relatively new buildings; I took rather a lot of photos, nearly 400.  :blush:

So no point posting any, easier if you ask for an specific tank and I'll see if I have a photo of one.  :)

mongers

On the way back home got suck in the traffic from the air show, which due to the low cloud, one could hear but not see.  <_<

Maladict

At the Vasa Museum this morning.  :cool:
Even better than the Mary Rose.

The Brain

Quote from: Maladict on August 29, 2014, 06:28:19 PM
At the Vasa Museum this morning.  :cool:
Even better than the Mary Rose.

:w00t:

They're close, man. Real close.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

This evening I visited the 'magical land', an area up on the downlands where three counties meet. All the roads and traffic are away in the valleys and there's no settlements up there, just farmyards and lots of byways and paths in all directs making subtle hints of history's passage.

Somewhere I can go, just a dozen miles from home, but a world away from all the distractions of home, family, media and being ever connected.
Just me, a few farm workers in the distance and the occasion crow about their business. Turned around, on the one hand an red-orange sun setting early behind low cloud and on the other the ghost of an early moon.